Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrehawari
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Performance : Maximum Number of Visualization per Report

Hi, 

My client approached me and asked how many maximum visualization in one report page, so the best performance can be achieved. (currently I used up to 10-12 visualization per report)

Currently, I am using live connection to azure analysis services as a data source, with daily transaction around millions of rows. 

the current link

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance

only tell "limit the number of visualization"  without providing the guidance how to calculate the "limitation", whilist i need to provide the suggestion to client about the range of number visualization

Any suggestion about good source about this ?

thank you

Andre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Andrew,

The challenge here is that it all depends on how the model is created, how complex or simple the measures are. And then also what visualisations are being used to show the output.

I am not sure how you would be able to define where the drop off point is. I have seen simple visuals take a long time to render (due to complex or poorly written DAX measures) and then seen a large dataset with quite a few visuals on a page return within a second. It is not a simple answer.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would say that having too many visualizations per report will take away the impact and what the report is trying to achieve.

The question should always be asked when creating a report with visuals is what do you want the report consumer to see?
Once you understand that, you can then create the visuals.

I would suggest that less is more.

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert

Yes, I completely agree with you, less is more. Hence, the client challenged back, how many ?

As the result, I need to propose the logical approach to get into the number.

For instance, with x number of rows, x number of slicers, and x number of data loaded, the performance will dropped down into x second.

Any suggestion for reading material about this will be really appreaciated

Thanks !

Andre

Hi Andrew,

The challenge here is that it all depends on how the model is created, how complex or simple the measures are. And then also what visualisations are being used to show the output.

I am not sure how you would be able to define where the drop off point is. I have seen simple visuals take a long time to render (due to complex or poorly written DAX measures) and then seen a large dataset with quite a few visuals on a page return within a second. It is not a simple answer.

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert

Well noted, thanks for the input.To summarize, there are 3 factors to consider based on your answers

a. how the model is created

b. measures complexity

c. type of visualization (I wonder why this is matter, let say are there any differences if we choose bar chart over line chart ?)

It looks like the only way to calculate the performance is only after the system go live with real data, then do the tweaking.

Yes, that is what I would suggest, best to have it working in the Power BI Service and tweak it from there.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors