Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stu07
Regular Visitor

Power BI Paginated Report | Error Publishing to Power BI Service

Working on migrating exising SSRS reports from an On Prem environment to Azure.  Currently hosting reports on an A4 Power BI Embedded capacity in Azure.  I've had success in publishing and executing several RDLs on the A4 capacity.

However, we do have a few reports that evaluate the Connection String in the Data Source at runtime and I'm starting to run into errors.  The funny thing is that it's working perfectly when I run the report locally.  The issue is when I try to save the report to the PBI Service.

Here's the error I'm getting:

Operation returned an invalid status code 'BadRequest'

RdlWorkloadErrorCode:
PaginatedReportAuthoringError

RdlWorkloadErrorMessage:
Report is invalid. ErrorCode: rsInvalidReportDefinition, Details: The definition of this report is not valid or supported by this version of Reporting Services. The report definition may have been created with a later version of Reporting Services, or contain content that is not well-formed or not valid based on Reporting Services schemas. Details: String reference not set to an instance of a String.
Parameter name: s

PaginatedReportAuthoringError:
Report is invalid. ErrorCode: rsInvalidReportDefinition, Details: The definition of this report is not valid or supported by this version of Reporting Services. The report definition may have been created with a later version of Reporting Services, or contain content that is not well-formed or not valid based on Reporting Services schemas. Details: String reference not set to an instance of a String.
Parameter name: s

ErrorCode: PaginatedReportAuthoringError
Details: An unknown error was encountered. Please try again.

ResponseId: ec9c681b-12ec-433e-a1c7-8564bfb484a5
ActivityId: 1b571c9d-6610-49ea-991d-791113577f04
RequestId: 51ddd51c-a295-4091-9793-9e58a9daa3f3
Timestamp: 7/16/2020 12:53:28 PM -04:00

I think I may have found a difference in the Power BI Report Builder and the SSRS Report Builder.  Here's a snipet of the Data Source Properties side by side:

ssrs-pbi.PNG

In the old report builder there a fx button to create a function the will evalutate a query for the connection string but in the new PBI report builder there is not.  The odd thing is that it still works locally.

Has anyone tackled this before?  Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Stu07 

I would recommend you to submit the issue here or create a a support ticket for this kind of error that we cannot reproduce.\

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @V-pazhen-msft!  I'll cut a ticket.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What happens if you put in the ConnectionString instead of a parameter does it then work?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hey @GilbertQ ,

Thanks for reaching out!!!

It works fine when I put in the ConnectionString instead of a parameter. The problem is that I can only point the RDL at one database when the ConnectionString is hardcoded into the Data Source and not based on a parameter.

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this? I'm trying to do the exact same thing, with the same error as a result.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors