Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

it_russ
Frequent Visitor

Power BI On-Premise Gateway not showing up in Manage Gateways

Hello,

Ive recently installed an on-premise power bi gateway on one of our servers.  I have installed it successfully and everything looks good on the server.  When I log into the Power BI service I notice that it doesnt show up in my list of Managed Gateways.

What I've noticed so far is that the server account that I log into the server with doesnt have a office 365/Power BI license but when I run the installation for the gateway it prompts for a user to register the service with and I use my own account that does have a power bi pro license.  My concern is even though Im giving it the account that I use for the power bi service to register the gateway (and it prompts and I sign in without issue), it is somehow using the default account im signed into the server because when it gets to the step below, it is showing the server account instead of the account that has the license.

Capture.PNG

Ive also uninstalled and reinstalled using the same process with no success.  Any other ideas on how to switch the account its registered too on the installation?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to resolve this.  The account that I installed the power bi gateway with had to be a part of the administrators group on the server and be associated with a power bi license. Then I could log into the power bi service after setting up the gateway to see it show in My Gateways. 

Anytime I was logged in with my other account doint he install that didnt have the power bi license, I wasnt able to run the install as other account with the license and associate it.

Seems to be confusing in that aspect.  I wasnt able to use a different account when I registered the gateway, it kept using the account I was currently logged into the server with.

Thanks for you help!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
WayneAtDsn
Regular Visitor

I really don't follow the phrase "be associated with a power bi license".

The user I used to install the On-Premises Data Gateway is a member of the Administrators group, but that user is just a user on the server.  It is not "associated" with a Microsoft account or any licensing of anything.  It is just a stand-alone user on a Windows Server VM.

The On-Premises Data Gateway is working fine with Azure and Business Central, but does not appear when I connect to the Power BI Service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @it_russ I have a problem which is similar to your's . So I had a gateway already installed on the server and I had done it with my work account which has license . But now when I try to sign in to On premises data gateway configurator , and try to sign in with the same account, I get this error:gateway error.PNG

The gateway is running fine and I can see the gateway in the managed gateways section as well. I even updated the gateway but it did not asked me to sign in. But the updation was also successfull. But as I can recall , it used to ask for sign in before installing a new update. Could you please help out.

It asks me to configure the gateway .error 2.PNG

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you check to make sure that the PBI Service is running?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

First question is when installing are you installing the Gateway in Enterprise Mode?

if you are then the same account you use when registering the Gateway, should be the same account you use to log into the Power BI Service?

Power BI Blog

Thank you for the response GilbertQ.  If you mean this option during the installation, then it should be the correct type of gateway.  

Enterprise Mode.PNG

Also, when I export the logs and look at the properties of the gateway, it still shows my server account in the DisplayableId and not the account I used to register.  I assume it should show my account that I registered the gateway with.

I've called the Getgateways in the Power BI REST API as well and it doesnt show there either - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/gateways/getgateways

Yes it should show you the details?

Power BI Blog

I was able to resolve this.  The account that I installed the power bi gateway with had to be a part of the administrators group on the server and be associated with a power bi license. Then I could log into the power bi service after setting up the gateway to see it show in My Gateways. 

Anytime I was logged in with my other account doint he install that didnt have the power bi license, I wasnt able to run the install as other account with the license and associate it.

Seems to be confusing in that aspect.  I wasnt able to use a different account when I registered the gateway, it kept using the account I was currently logged into the server with.

Thanks for you help!

Literally fixed.  MSFT support missed this detail during a support case I just closed.  Thanks for your assist 🙂

Wow... Just wow.  I was beating my skull against a wall, not able to figure out why my gateway wasn't showing up.  Like you said, it's a weird quirk with the installer.

What didn't work:

I was logged-in to my server (where the gateway is) with an admin account because my standard account wasn't an admin and wasn't authorized for login.  I installed the GW with my admin account (no Pro license) and configured it with the email address of my standard account (with a Pro license).  Everything looked good, but the GW wasn't showing up in PBI Service. 

What did work:

I added my standard account to the local administrators group.  Did a "run as" to run the installer as my standard account (while logged-in to the server as the admin account), configured the GW for my standard account, and ...poof!  Magic!  GW immediately showed up in the PBI Service.

That is really interesting, thanks for letting everyone know.

I am sure that other people would have come across this challenge before.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors