Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

firstkeyhomes

Power BI Log Analytics for Analysis Services Engine - Refresh fails

I have installed the Power BI Log Analytics for Analysis Services Engine in order for us to analyze our Power BI service. When I attempt to refresh, it will run for 3-5 minutes and then abort with an error 400: Bad Request. Has anyone encountered this error and resolved it?

8 REPLIES 8
samaguire
Helper II
Helper II

Hi all.

I'm having the same issues in my tenant as well. It had been running perfectly since the public preview came out. There are a few things going on:

1.  The template app (Power BI Log Analytics for AS Engine (Preview) | Microsoft AppSource) fails to refresh with the error:
    Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://api.loganalytics.io/v1/workspaces/a8911362-bb6c-4629-aed1-81570c0f6e1d/query?query=%0A%2F%2F%20Refreshes%20can%20contain%20several%20CommandEnd%20and%20DiscoveryEnd%20events%20that%20share%20the%20same%20rootActivityId.%20This%20report%27s%20data%20model%20typically%20has%20these%20in%20the%20Operation%20table%2C%20however%0A%2F%2F%20to%20keep%20these%20events%20grouped%20together%20we%20move%20such%20events%20to%20the%20Suboperation%20table.%0Aset%20notruncation%3B%0Alet%20workspaceIdList%20%3D%20dynamic%28%5B%2750EA7149-43DC-4DE3-8E56-4D5DBBC83E8F%27%2C%20%27C839BDCB-81B5-4DC3-9F92-818FE71432A1%27%2C%20%2780FA5101-D77B-4AC3-B86A-EEAFE28E64AC%27%5D%29%3B%0A%0Alet%20startDate%20%3D%20startofday%28ago%2813d%29%29-%20720m%20%3B%0Alet%20startIngestionTime%20%3D%20datetime_add%28%27hour%27%2C%2020%2Ctodatetime%28startDate%29%29%3B%0Alet%20endIngestionTime%20%3D%20datetime_add%28%27hour%27%2C%204%2Ctodatetime%28startIngestionTime%29%29%3B%0A%0A%0APowerBIDatasetsWorkspace%0A%7C%20whe' (400): Bad Request. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.
  2. The template app (microsoft/PowerBI-LogAnalytics-Template-Reports: The repository hosts Power BI template files that c...) also gets this error in the PQ function "fnGetOperationsExceptRefreshes" specifically the in the KQL statement where it seems the fields 'WorkspaceId' and 'WorkspaceName' are no longer in the data... 
    'distinct' operator: Failed to resolve scalar expression named 'WorkspaceId'
  3. Logs in the Azure workspace stopped updating on the ~2 weeks ago.
    PowerBIDatasetsWorkspace
    | where TimeGenerated between(datetime("2022-06-19 00:00:00") .. datetime("2022-06-26 23:59:59"))
    // | extend Sources = parse_json(ApplicationContext).Sources
    // | mv-expand Sources
    // | extend ReportId = tostring(parse_json(Sources).ReportId)
    // | extend TextDataHash = hash(EventText)
    // // | extend DurationMs = coalesce(DurationMs, 0)
    // // | extend User = iff(toupper(WorkspaceId) in (workspaceIdList), hash_md5(User), User)
    // // | extend ExecutingUser = iff(toupper(WorkspaceId) in (workspaceIdList), hash_md5(ExecutingUser), ExecutingUser)
    // | distinct ApplicationName, CpuTimeMs, ArtifactId, ArtifactName, ArtifactKind, DatasetMode, DurationMs, EventText, ExecutingUser, OperationDetailName, OperationName, PremiumCapacityId, ReportId, SourceSystem, Status, StatusCode, TenantId, TextDataHash, TimeGenerated, Type, User, WorkspaceId, WorkspaceName, XmlaRequestId, XmlaSessionId, _ResourceId, _SubscriptionId
    | summarize events_count = count() by bin(TimeGenerated, 1d)
    | order by events_count asc
    samaguire_0-1657013301237.png
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @firstkeyhomes 

When you say you refresh, how exactly are you refreshing?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

How am I refreshing? Do you know anything about this report? There are 2 ways to do a refresh. 1) When the app is first installed it will tell you that sample data is being used and a link is provided to do a refresh. 2) Refresh the dataset like any other dataset.

Hi @firstkeyhomes 

I am struggling to understand where the error is happening?

How and what are you doing to create the issue if you have more details?

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ - Do you know anything about the Power BI Log Analytics for Analysis Services Engine app? It sounds like you might not. This is ok. I would just rather deal with someone who knows about this app and how to deal with this error. The error occurs when I click the Refresh link to refresh the dataset associated with the report.

Hi @firstkeyhomes 

It is only now that you specified that you are talking about the Power BI Log Analytics App. Before that you did not specify it, and that is what I was looking to understand what and how you were refreshing.

If there is an error with the app you would need to log a support ticket because this is supported by Microsoft.

The other option is to log into the Azure Portal and connect to the Log Analytics workspace directly. This is what I have done in the past and works very well for me.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @firstkeyhomes 

Can I confirm that you have created the log analytics in your Power BI Premium/PPU App Workspace?

Configuring Azure Log Analytics in Power BI (Preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

And then have you tried to query it in Log Analytics in the Azure Portal?

Log Analytics integration with Power BI and Excel - Azure Monitor | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Blog

Yes and Yes

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors