Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ab1103

Power BI Licensing for the reports build only on top of excel

Dear Experts,

I am expecting a help from you all.

My organization want to use the power bi for few dashboards developed on top of Excel. No SQL server or any other datasource. Dashboards are developed on top of excel only and they would like to see the dashboard in web. Development should happen in Power bi desktop and publish to the web. Number of users are 10 and they dont mind using a single user id for all the 10 users.

So can you please suggest which power bi license will be suitable for this type of requirement. Should we buy Power bi report server or anything else. Please please suggest. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Ab1103,

For something that simple, Report Server would be overkill. A set of Power BI Pro licenses would work perfectly for what you're looking for. At $10/month/user, the cost to your organization will be minimal.

Power BI Desktop is, of course, free, and the Pro licesnse allows you to take full advantage of the collaboration and sharing capabilities of the Power BI Online Service.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Ab1103,

For something that simple, Report Server would be overkill. A set of Power BI Pro licenses would work perfectly for what you're looking for. At $10/month/user, the cost to your organization will be minimal.

Power BI Desktop is, of course, free, and the Pro licesnse allows you to take full advantage of the collaboration and sharing capabilities of the Power BI Online Service.

Thanks for your prompt response. 

I should buy a power bi pro license and multiple users can view the dashboards in web rite ?. It will be a great help if you can share any document that explains the steps to be followed and if any server requirements. 

Can i install the power bi and take the pro license thru my local machine or i should have the separate dedicated environment ? 

Hi @Ab1103,

Power BI desktop is a free application that free users can use it to develop reports and publish to Power Bi service. The main difference between a Free or Pro user is centered around sharing and collaboration. Only Pro users can publish content to app workspaces. So the pro license is necessary for you and the users that you want to share to.  For more details, please check the online document. If any other question, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors