Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

miguelarcilla
Regular Visitor

Power BI Licensing for Premium Dashboard Creators

I have a Power BI scenario with 3 types of users involved:

1. Report Creators - Require access to publish reports from Power BI Desktop and share to users
  2. Dashboard Creators - Require access to create and share dashboards based off of reports generated by Report Creators
  3. Consumers - Require access to log in and view dashboards and reports in the Power BI service

I have Power BI Premium to cover view access for Consumers, and Power BI Pro licenses for Report Creators.

Given that I have Premium capacity acquired, do I still need Power BI Pro licenses for Dashboard Creators?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@miguelarcilla ,

If the report is published to the dedicated(premium) app workspace. Free user who has been assigned as a member in of the app workspace can also modify(pin dashboard) and share the report within the dedicated app workspace. However, if you need to share dashboard with other people who are using sharing workspace, it's necessary to purchase pro license. 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@miguelarcilla ,

I'm sorry for the mistake I have made, the free license users can not create dashboard(pin tiles). Please read the official announcement below:

With Power BI Premium, you are licensing capacity for your content rather than licensing all users of that content. Content (datasets, dashboards, and reports) is stored in Premium and can then be viewed by as many users as you want, without additional per-user costs. These users can only view content, not create it. Viewing includes looking at dashboards and reports on the web, in our mobile apps, or embedded in your organization’s portals or apps. The creators of content in Premium still need their own Pro licenses. 

In addtion, if you want to know more details about Premium license, please refer to this announcement:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/power-bi-pro-power-bi-premium-flexibility-to-choose-the-lic...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@miguelarcilla ,

If the report is published to the dedicated(premium) app workspace. Free user who has been assigned as a member in of the app workspace can also modify(pin dashboard) and share the report within the dedicated app workspace. However, if you need to share dashboard with other people who are using sharing workspace, it's necessary to purchase pro license. 

Thanks @v-yuta-msft for the input.

Just to clarify, all reports and users will be added to the dedicated (premium) app workspace. There will be no access granted outside of the workspace. Based on your answer, this means that all users can:

1. Create a dashboard from existing reports

2. Share the dashboard to users in the same workspace

without the need for a Power BI Pro license. So only the members who will create and publish reports will need Power BI Pro?

@miguelarcilla ,

I'm sorry for the mistake I have made, the free license users can not create dashboard(pin tiles). Please read the official announcement below:

With Power BI Premium, you are licensing capacity for your content rather than licensing all users of that content. Content (datasets, dashboards, and reports) is stored in Premium and can then be viewed by as many users as you want, without additional per-user costs. These users can only view content, not create it. Viewing includes looking at dashboards and reports on the web, in our mobile apps, or embedded in your organization’s portals or apps. The creators of content in Premium still need their own Pro licenses. 

In addtion, if you want to know more details about Premium license, please refer to this announcement:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/power-bi-pro-power-bi-premium-flexibility-to-choose-the-lic...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors