Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dsenapa

Power BI License

Hi,

Our organization is thinking of replacing the current reporting tool with Power BI.

We have around 100 users out of which 30 might create and design reports and rest will be viewers/consumers of the report.

As per my understanding,30 of them will need power BI pro and all 100 would need premium license to view the data securely.

Power Bi premium per user is 20$ per user i.e lets say 2000 per month and Power BI premium per capacity is 5000 per month.

What will be the best approach : to get per user license or per capacity?Does per capacity has any other advantages considering our reports aren't very complicated.They are simple query results and not dashboards.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

What makes you think you need Premium for your use case? Pro is likely enough for simple reporting needs unless you've identified specific features not found in Pro.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mel2020
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'm currenlty use a PowerBI Pro license (I'm the admin) and share the reports with 100-110 users. Based on several sources found may I request a clear answer to the questions below:

1. Eeach user I do share my report with (PowerBI app) need to hold a Power Bi Pro license?

2. Is there any other more affordable option ?

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @dsenapa ,

When you have a large number of users, it is recommended that you buy power bi permium, because the premium capacity will be divided into many different SKUs, and the corresponding functions of each Sku are also different.

What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

When you have a small number of users, it is recommended that you buy a Power bi premium per user, which will also have a capacity in it, which is equivalent to P3 Sku.

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

According to your needs, it is more recommended that you buy Power bi premium per user.

Although it will be more expensive than power bi pro in price, it can satisfy the interaction and creation of your user reports, and also have the capacity advantage that power bi pro does not have, and the price will be much cheaper than power bi premium.

There is a limitation that only users of Power bi premium per user can access the capacity of Power bi premium per user.

vyangliumsft_0-1656662870066.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

What makes you think you need Premium for your use case? Pro is likely enough for simple reporting needs unless you've identified specific features not found in Pro.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

With only Pro, all users(e.g approx 100 in my case) will need Pro licenses and it will be a shared workspace,right? Is the dedicated workspace only with premium per capacity?

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm not sure what you mean by "shared workspace", Pro users can be in separate workspaces if you'd like. The correct terms are "shared capacity" and "dedicated capacity":

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-what-is

Thanks. Yes probably I meant shared capacity . Dedicated capacity is only available with premium I believe.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Right, so how did you reach the conclusion that you needed dedicated capacity?

You can start with Pro for all users, and if some requirements are not met under shared capacity, upgrade some workspaces and their users to PPU. That way you'll make sure not to spend more than you need.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors