Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nicolasmous

Power BI License needed for facilitating reports in PDF to end user(s)

I have seen this question multiple times, but it still remains somewhat unclear to me. 

We have the following use case. We have 1 website on which multiple users can log in (they all have there own account / credentials). 

This website uses one single database, so the database is multi-tenant, which we hoston Azure (not VM). 

We want to achieve the following: 

We are in control of all the reports, so in theory we only need 1 license to create the reports. The web application calls an Power BI endpoint with specific parameters, so the returned report has the right dataset for the logged in user. If I understood it correctly this can be done using the Power BI REST API. So our end user will only be receiving the PDF variant of the report, and have no further Power BI involvement. 

I think this is technical possible, where our 'web application' is the (pro?) license user. Though, the question is, are we entering with this setup some 'gray' area which is not (legally) allowed? 

3 REPLIES 3
nicolasmous

@Greg_Deckler thank you for your reply! I thought the same, untill someone pointed me at the 'Multiplexing' issue. 

So after reading Microsoft's Multiplexing Licensing brief, found here: https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/Licensing_Brief_P...

it seems this case falls under example 3 of page 8, as we are 'automating' the PDF generation and Power BI is included in 'Microsoft Dataverse (page 12)'?

And this states:

Since there is an automation step, the end users accessing data need the appropriate licenses.

So sadly still not enirely clear 🙂 Don't know if there are some other 'licensing experts' around ? 🙂

I would say you are correct. Your case would fall under multiplexing because you are automating the distribution of data. 

“Multiplexing” is when individuals use hardware or software to pool connections, reroute or indirectly access information, and/or reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use a product. Multiplexing can also include reducing the number of devices or users a product directly manages."

Good find on that document. I'd say it is a pretty clear case of multiplexing. You are using software to automate indirectly accessing the reports and email PDF's of that content to users.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@nicolasmous Without tracking down the terms of service, with what you describe you should be OK with just a single Pro license. The users themselves are not accessing the Power BI Service and you aren't using the Subscription capability of the Service so you should be good to go. However, I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV so...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors