Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KTP_UBS
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Licencing for Enterprise users

Hello,

We are working for a non-profit organisation and we subscribe one Power BI Pro (trial version) at the personal level.

In a long term, we would like to move the whole Power BI service to the server, that means to have the Power BI cloud, power BI gateway installed in the server where our main MySQL database sits.

We have three developers here who are using Power BI Desktop to create reports. I wonder in a long term, we would like to have an enterprise cloud where all developers publish their reports to. In this case, how many liciences do we need to pay?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KTP_UBS Not sure if you've got the correct architecture but currently there is no way to host your own (private) power bi cloud. It is hosted in microsoft data centres and that is what you would use. So to answer your question about how many Pro licenses you require it really depends on your requirement. Basically in power bi if your report is usign Pro feature then anyone you share it with will also need Pro account. So not just person developing it but also person you sharing with will need Pro account. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks @ankitpatira.

I do understand that users who have the dashboard shared will need a Pro account. 

Please may I confirm that my developers (those who are buidling reports) can use my Power BI account when developing reports via Power BI Desktop? By all means, multiple users sharing on Power BI pro account.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks.

@KTP_UBS

In this scenario, if those three developers are in same organization, you can add them into your tenant on O365 Admin Center, and assign them Power BI Pro Liscense. For more detail infromation, please see: Administering Power BI in your organization. And you can create a group for them to publish their reports: Create a group in Power BI.

Regards,

Thanks @v-sihou-msft.

How's the Office365 subscription works? If we pay for Power BI pro, do we still need to pay for subscribing Offie 365. We are a non-profit organisation, and I wonder if we can get the service as a Donation?

Many thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors