Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Groups cannot be found in Azure AD

We have several Power BI Group that we can find in the Power BI Admin portal but not in the Azure Active Directory via the Azure Portal. There is only one tenant (that we know of).

The goal is to convert these Office 365 groups (V1) to Power BI Workspaces (V2).

Where can we find the missing groups?
Is there a sync process that might be out of date between Power BI & Office 365?

6 REPLIES 6
TheFlyingBadger
Frequent Visitor

We have a similar issue here. Using Powershell Get-PowerBIWorkspace gives me all of the workspaces, which are a mix of "Group" (v1) and "Workspace" (v2) types. Of my (currently) 38 v1 workspaces, the Workspace ID matches up to the corresponding AAD Group GUID for 22 of them, but the other 16 seem to be headless. My suspicision is that the workspaces were created automagically during the creation of Sharepoint Online sites (or something similar), and they've now been deleted but the Power BI Artifacts were not tidied up along with them.

So how can we delete these workspaces? I am the PowerBI admin and it won't let me delete them as I don't have "workspace level" permission - of course I can't *GET* workspace level permission for them as the AAD group which i'd need to be added as an Admin to does not exist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know that I'm not the only one out there that encounters this issue.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check the permission of AAD account.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran a small test by doing the following;

Create a Classic Workspace ( Create a workspace > Revert to classic ). I named the new workspace ExperimentalWorkspace and added myself as admin.

Create new workspace via PowerBI.comCreate new workspace via PowerBI.com

Go to portal.azure.com and navigate to Azure Active Directory / Groups. Then search for the group that was just created.

AADSearchGroup.PNG

Then deleted that group from within the Azure Portal. Group is succesfully deleted. Go back to the Power BI Portal. The group ExperimentalWorkspace won't be longer available.

Head over to the Admin portal inside Power BI and go to Workspaces. Search for the deleted group.

PowerBIAdminSearchWorkspaces.PNG

Here it shows that the workspace is still in an Active state.

@venal It seems that creating a V1 Workspace does create an Office 365 group in AAD.

@V-lianl-msft What setting should I check within the AAD account? Could you please elaborate on that?

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

As i know that it will create a group in Office 365 for v1 workspace, won't show that groups in AAD.

Please refer the below document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-workspaces

For upgrade the classic workspace to new workapce, please refer the below document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/designer/service-upgrade-workspaces

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@venal Thank you for your time and advice. I have a question regarding the V1 workspaces. Where are the Office 365 groups listed if the do not end up in the AAD?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors