Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PawelM25

Power BI Gov vs. Power BI Commerical

What is it that makes Power BI Gov uniquely positioned/compliant for government use?

I understand the relation of Power BI Gov and Azure for Gov and Power BI's CJIS, DoD, FedRAMP, and FIPS compliance offerings but beyond that, it appears there isn't much difference. 

Studying the publicly accessible dashboards of local governments in my area, (by inspecting the elements of their web pages) I find that these local gov. Dashboards are running on Commercial Power BI Service most of the time.  What compliance issues could this create?

What compliance issues might be created when users in the org use Free Power BI that is not compliant? Is this not a concern because of it's limited sharing capabilities? Should government users ever leverage Desktop?

Furthermore,

Researching the Microsoft Trust Center>Compliance>ComplianceOfferings, I find the compliance offerings of Power BI are not divided up by Gov. vs. Commercial. Does this mean that Power BI Commercial is just as compliant as Government?

Any Feedback is greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PawelM25,

Please refer to this documentation for the limitations of Gov version of Power BI.

>>>If you have Power BI Free licenses assigned to your account, those accounts are running in a commercial version of the Power BI service, and are not part of the Power BI US Government offering.

Both commercial customers and Gov customers can have strong protection of their data. 

I think Gov users still need Power BI Desktop to create data model. The Desktop software just like the Excel application. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

From my understanding it depends on the implementation. Here in Australia the Australian Government has signed off on Azure passing the strict requirements for Government Organizations. Which then relates to Government being able to use Power BI as is, because it meets their requirements.

I am not 100% sure how it works in the USA, but what from I have seen there is a segregated Azure that is for exclusive use by the USA Government that does not have any public data or assets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I work for a Government agency that own Gov cloud licensing.  A State agency is sending people in my organization links to Power BI commercial site that requires a PRO version license.  We purchase the PRO version licenses for this person, but the commercial link will not recognize our Gov licenses.  The link points to the app.powerbi.com site, while our Gov cloud licenses point to app.powerbigov.us.  How do I get this user access to this commercial resource with out Gov licensing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors