Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gracylayla
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI - Get Data From SharePoint List / Library

In this article, we will show how to get the data from SharePoint in Power BI.
  1. Using OData Feed.
  2. Using SharePoint List.

Get SharePoint List/Library Using OData Feed

The Open Data Protocol (OData) is a data access protocol for the web.
  • OData provides a uniform way to query and manipulates datasets through CRUD operations (create, read, update, and delete).
  • OData defines an abstract data model and a protocol that let the client access the information exposed by SharePoint. 

Steps

• Open Power BI Desktop and at Home Tab, click on Get Data > OData Feed.
  • Type the OData Feed URL for the SharePoint "http://siteurl/_vti_bin/listdata.svc" and click Connect. 

• ListData.svc provides a way of getting information from a list using REST.

• In Navigator dialog, select the required list and click Load.
  • You should now find the list fields in Fields section, and you should be ready to build your report from SharePoint list items.
Note

In case the current user is not authorized to connect to the site, you will be prompted to set the right credential as shown below.

Get SharePoint List/Library Using SharePoint List Connection

Power BI Desktop also provides a direct data source for the SharePoint list as shown below.

Steps

• Open Power BI Desktop > at Home Tab > Click on Get Data > click More.
  • In Get Data dialog, Search for SharePoint > Select SharePoint List > click Connect.
  • Provide the SharePoint Site URL > click OK.
  • In Navigator dialog, select the required list > click Load.
  • You should now find the list fields in Fields section, and you should be ready to build your report from SharePoint list items.

17 REPLIES 17
Pmpsridhar-555

Using OData Feed:

The Open Data Protocol (OData) is a web data access protocol that offers a uniform way to query and manipulate datasets via CRUD operations (create, read, update, and delete). It defines an abstract data model and a protocol allowing the client to access the information exposed by SharePoint.

Steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop and navigate to the Home Tab.
  2. Click on Get Data > OData Feed.
  3. Enter the OData Feed URL for SharePoint:and click Connect.
    • ListData.svc provides a method to fetch information from a list using REST.
  4. In the Navigator dialog, choose the desired list and click Load.

After completing these steps, you should see the list fields in the Fields section, ready to be used to construct your report based on the SharePoint list items.

Note:
If the current user doesn’t have the required permissions to connect to the site, you will be prompted to input the correct credentials.

Using SharePoint List Connection:

Power BI Desktop also offers a direct data source option for SharePoint lists.

Steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop and navigate to the Home Tab.
  2. Click on Get Data > More.
  3. In the Get Data dialog, search for SharePoint, then select SharePoint List and click Connect.
  4. Provide the SharePoint Site URL and click OK.
  5. In the Navigator dialog, select the desired list and click Load.
kloudacademy

Power BI's ability to connect to SharePoint Lists and Libraries is a testament to Microsoft's ecosystem's interconnectivity. This seamless integration allows businesses to leverage their existing SharePoint data effortlessly in Power BI, enabling more dynamic and comprehensive analyticsKloud Course Academy 

EleJim

Hi. My report in Power Bi gets the data from a list in SharePoint. Works fine. But what if I cannot add new data to the list in SharePoint? Instead I have a new list with the new data and I need my report in Power Bi to drop the first list and use the new list to get the new data. How can I switch lists in a Power Bi report?

Of course, for obvious reasons changing names of lists in SharePoint doesn't work.

Thanks.

Ankit08

"Impressed with Brolly AI's Custom GPT offering! Tailored solutions for language generation that suit specific business needs. The customization options provide a powerful tool for enhancing communication and automation. Excited to see how this advanced technology transforms various industries!"

<a href="https://brollyai.com/custom-gpt-application/">Custom GPT Applications </a>

Ankit08

In the fast-paced realm of technological innovation, Brolly AI stands at the forefront, driving advancements and reshaping industries through the power of Machine Learning (ML). With an unwavering commitment to excellence, Brolly AI is not just embracing the future – it's actively shaping it.

Embracing Innovation: Brolly AI's journey into the world of Machine Learning is marked by a relentless pursuit of innovation. By integrating cutting-edge ML algorithms into its products and services, Brolly AI is revolutionizing the way businesses operate, automating processes, and making data-driven decisions with unparalleled precision.

The Heart of Brolly AI - Machine Learning: At the core of Brolly AI's success lies a robust foundation in Machine Learning. The company has invested significantly in building a team of experts, data scientists, and engineers who specialize in creating ML models that deliver exceptional results. These models are tailored to meet the unique challenges faced by industries, ensuring a seamless integration of AI into everyday operations.

Bridging Gaps with Predictive Analytics: Brolly AI's Machine Learning capabilities extend beyond conventional boundaries. The incorporation of predictive analytics has empowered businesses to forecast trends, identify potential risks, and optimize strategies for sustainable growth. By leveraging the power of ML, Brolly AI is bridging the gap between data and actionable insights.

Personalization Excellence: In a world that thrives on personalized experiences, Brolly AI's Machine Learning models excel in understanding user behavior, preferences, and patterns. This capability enables the development of highly personalized solutions, be it in customer interactions, product recommendations, or service delivery.

Ethical AI: Brolly AI understands the importance of responsible AI deployment. With a commitment to ethical practices, the company ensures that its Machine Learning models are not just powerful but also aligned with ethical standards. This dedication sets Brolly AI apart, fostering trust among clients and users alike.

Towards a Smarter Tomorrow: As Brolly AI continues to push the boundaries of what's possible with Machine Learning, it envisions a future where AI is seamlessly integrated into every aspect of business and daily life. The ongoing commitment to research, development, and innovation positions Brolly AI as a trailblazer in the AI landscape, leading the way towards a smarter, more connected tomorrow.

In conclusion, Brolly AI's foray into Machine Learning is not just a technological leap but a testament to the company's dedication to pushing boundaries, fostering innovation, and shaping a future where AI enhances and elevates human experiences. The journey has just begun, and with Brolly AI at the helm, the possibilities are limitless.

<a href="https://brollyai.com/machine-learning-classes-in-hyderabad/">Machine Learning Classes in Hydeabad </a>

Ankit08

Brolly Ai provides a comprehensive Python course, equipping learners with essential programming skills. With a focus on practical application, the course empowers individuals to write efficient Python code. Explore Brolly Ai for a hands-on learning experience in mastering Python for various applications.<a href="https://brollyai.com/python-for-ai/">Python For AI </a>

busine12

The Business Accounting and Taxation course offered by AccountingMastery provides comprehensive training in financial management, accounting principles, and taxation regulations. Participants gain practical skills in bookkeeping, financial analysis, and tax planning, enabling them to navigate complex financial landscapes with confidence. Whether for individuals seeking career advancement or businesses aiming to enhance their financial operations, this course equips learners with essential knowledge and expertise in accounting and taxation practices.

Fullstackcampus

Thanks for provide great informatic and looking beautiful blog, really nice required information & the things i never
imagined and i would request, wright more blog and blog post like that for us. Thanks you once again..nice article.
thanks for sharing with us
<a href="https://fullstackcampus.com/"> full stack course in Hyderabad</a>

rajeshdigitalbr

Thanks for provide great informatic and looking beautiful blog, really nice required information & the things i never
imagined and i would request, wright more blog and blog post like that for us. Thanks you once again..

<a href="https://salesforcemasters.in/">salesforcemasters.in/</a>

azure123

Join ourAzure  (1).pngfor a comprehensive learning experience. Master the cloud data platform's architecture, data warehousing, and analytics. Gain hands-on skills for efficient data management. Elevate your career with industry-relevant expertise. Enroll now!

The Snowflake Schema stands as a refined iteration within the realm of multidimensional models, specifically crafted for the intricate demands of data warehousing. Going beyond the conventional schemas, this sophisticated schema introduces a nuanced evolution. In the domain of the Snowflake Schema, the conceptual landscape transcends the conventional dichotomy of mere fact tables and dimension tables. Instead, it embraces a more complex structure by incorporating sub-dimension tables, meticulously arranged to form a hierarchical framework.

This elaborate schema can be visualized as a metaphorical snowflake, a symbol of intricacy and uniqueness. Its foundational components encompass not only the central elements of fact tables and dimension tables but also intricately connected sub-dimension tables. Together, these elements weave a narrative of complexity and depth, mirroring the intricate patterns of a snowflake in the world of data warehousing.

In contrast to its predecessors, the Snowflake Schema introduces a layer of granularity by including sub-dimension tables. These tables delve into finer details, capturing subtle nuances and relationships within the data. The result is a meticulously structured hierarchy that provides a comprehensive and detailed representation of the underlying information.

The visual metaphor of a snowflake aptly captures the essence of the schema's design philosophy. Much like the unique and intricate ice crystals that form a snowflake, the Snowflake Schema emphasizes the individuality and specificity of data elements. This departure from a simplistic structure allows organizations to represent complex relationships and dependencies with a level of detail that goes beyond traditional schemas.

The core components of the Snowflake Schema—fact tables, dimension tables, and sub-dimension tables—are interconnected in a way that resembles the branching arms of a snowflake. Each layer contributes to the overall structure, creating a web of relationships that extends beyond the surface. This layered approach allows for a more granular and nuanced representation of data, essential for industries and scenarios where detailed insights are paramount.

azure123

nice blog post
thank you for sharing with us.

<a href ="https://azuretrainings.in/snowflake-training-in-hyderabad/snowflake training in hyderabad</a>

Brolly1

Snowflake provides cloud-based data warehousing that enables advanced solutions for organizational storage, handling, and analysis.

Its unique characteristics include high speed, ease of use, and versatility, making it stand out from other conventional offerings.

Reporting and data warehousing are integral parts of any organization’s IT infrastructure.

To take on these tasks, Snowflake leverages the functionality of an innovative SQL query engine with a flexible architecture natively established for the cloud.

This approach enables users to easily customize and start creating ready-to-query tables with little or no administration costs.

Brolly Academy is one of the best training institutes providing the best Snowflake training in Hyderabad  is guaranteed to help newcomers and working professionals pass the Snowflake certification exam with ease by the advanced training concepts.

This Snowflake training for beginners will guide you through concepts such as

1.  Data warehouse
  2.  Learning to build Snowflake applications
  3.  Managing
  4.  Debugging
  5.  Maintaining Snowflake applications
  6.  Understanding user interfaces
  7.  Implementing business logic using the system
  8.  Query optimization techniques and more.

Our instructors work on various domains including snowflakes available to assist as needed during the training, we can also provide additional support through assignments once the class is over.

• Brolly Academy provides the best Snowflake course in Hyderabad, in 3 modes of Snowflake training which are Online Snowflake Training, Classroom Snowflake Training, and Self-paced video course Snowflake Training.
  • Our institute offers a Snowflake Training completion certificate which you will get after the training process is complete, and this Snowflake certificate is by Brolly Academy.
  • Attend our free demo session and enroll in BrollyAcademy Snowflake training in Hyderabad
Anonymous
Not applicable

just to make sure, when you get data from a list, any alterations you do to the data will not be reflected on the list, right?

JCaseAV

Wondering if the community can help me out.  

I am able to connect my PowerBi to a SQL server and pull live data from the source.  I am looking to get that live data to show as a "living" Excel doc that I can host or make a SharePoint list to connect the data to other applications we use internally at my company.

A lot of people want to know who to connect power BI to a SharePoint list but I am looking to do the reverse, connect a list to a Power BI data set.  Is this possible?  

You can try to use Power Automate for this functionality. You'd also need bulk delete or a delete duplicates added to the list as well flow. The flow can be a scheduled to run every second (or the time it takes for the flow to run - whichever is larger).

JayPow28
Helper I
Helper I

Excellent, thank you.

Works a treat.

Jason

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Is this a question or an article/blog post?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors