Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

siacc
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Gateways with data from two different sources

Hi all,

suppose you had two report published on Power BI Service with data becoming from different databases.

So, the scenario on Power BI Service is the following:

1) There is a Report, we call it "Report 1", with data becoming from a database that we call it  "DB 1";

2) There is another Report, we call it "Report 2", with data becoming from a different database that we call it "DB 2".

If you install Power BI Gateway (Personal or Enterprise), what will be the behavior when you set the scheduled refresh?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It will refresh the data. Should not matter that there are 2 databases involved. I have refreshed models from 5 or 6 different on-premises sources.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jotaandres
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I just finished another test, and apparently the gateway (on-premises) doesn't work for two databases on the same server. I might be doing something wrong but still it is not working. The work-around I discover is expailn below:

So I have DB1 and table1 and DB2 and table2. These DBs are in the same server (SQL server). So I'm bringing table1 from DB1 using the native power BI (Power Query type), apply the transformations and all I need. For table 2, what I do is to bring the tae via query using

select * from DB2.dbo.table2 and then apply all the tranaformations/filters I need.

Since the defult DB on the gateway configuration (which is needed) is DB1, now the gateway shows up when scheduling the refresh for this report.

If somebody has an advice on how to configure the gateway to accept data from mutliple databases in the same server please let me know.

Jorge

jotaandres
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I have the same problem. I have a report which is pulling data from salesforce. It was refreshing fine (no need for a gateway). Then I had to add to the data model a custom table from an on_premise SQL server. Now the gatway (which s working for other reports pulling data only from the SQL server), doesn't appear as an option to chose to refresh the data.

According to the comments above, this is a gateway problem. It is suppoed to be used with only one server as a datasource? It doesn't make too much sense. Let's see what Microsoft has to say about it.

Jojrge

I found the answer to my problem trying to combine salesforce and an on-premise database.

"

Warning:

If one of your data sources requires OAuth authentication, you will not be able to configure it with the On-Premises Data Gateway. OAuth authentication is not currently supported with the On-Premises Data Gateway. You will need to remove the data source that requires OAuth authentication from Power BI Desktop in order to configured scheduled refresh.

"

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It will refresh the data. Should not matter that there are 2 databases involved. I have refreshed models from 5 or 6 different on-premises sources.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler: Have you also tried to refresh two or more reports with data becoming form databases located in different servers? I forgot to ask this question Smiley Wink

I can't do this because there is, apparently, a problem before, with the gateways.

(I have a Ticket open and many posts here, but without response at the moment)

For all the reports ponting to the second database, on the second server, PowerBI does not recognise the gateway, (the second gateway, on the second server, I suppose), you can find many post here without response...

For the reports pointing to the first database, on the first server, and with the first gateway, no problem.

ok, but only if the databases are on the same server, I suppose..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors