Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Power BI Gateway from one tenant to another tenant

Hello,

my company started with Power BI on the tenant TestMyCompany.com and wants to move now to the tenant MyCompany.com

The gateway connects multiple sources (multiple SQL Server databases, flat files in our network, etc.) with Power BI.

How can I move the existing Gateway to the new MyCompany.com tenant without reconfiguring all the datasets and especially without logging in to all the connected services again?

Is there another way than deleting the Gateway and recreating it?

Thank you and best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @selimovd ,

Current gateways are bound to specific tenant accounts, I don't think it is possible to direct migrate a gateway to another tenant.

Maybe you can consider to Power bi REST API to export gateway settings and push these settings to new gateway. (get datasoruces and create datasource api)

Power BI REST APIs - Gateways .
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @selimovd ,

If you remember the recovery key that you defined on installing the gateway, you can use this key to migrate gateway:

How to Migrate an Existing On-Premises Data Gateway for Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Dear Xiaoxin,

thank you for your reply.
If I would install the gatway on another computer I could use the migrate dialog to take over the existing gateway to that new computer. But in my case the gateway should run on the same machine, just the target should change from one tenant to the other one.

How can I solve this?

I tried to start the installation process again, maybe there would be an option for the migration, but I cannot even reach this step:Gateway_error.png

Thank you and best regards

HI @selimovd ,

Current gateways are bound to specific tenant accounts, I don't think it is possible to direct migrate a gateway to another tenant.

Maybe you can consider to Power bi REST API to export gateway settings and push these settings to new gateway. (get datasoruces and create datasource api)

Power BI REST APIs - Gateways .
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thank you @ v-shex-msft

The migration was not that big, a few workspaces, dashboards and reports and one gateway with 10-15 data sources.

So I did it manually. But thank you for the tip with the REST API, I will check that out for the next time to be prepared.

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors