cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI Gateway Service updates

Hi All

When i click on our gateways on my laptop and browse to Gateways i get a message to update the gateway. The gateway services run on a different server. Do i need to install it on the remote server or on my laptop or both?

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @bkan ,

You have to install the update on the gateway server only.  I am assuming that this is not a personal gateway,  which would not be installed on a server in the first place. 

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @bkan ,

As the  official document  said,  Don't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

And we highly recommend installing Enterprise gateway on server rather than Personal

https://radacad.com/the-power-bi-gateway-all-you-need-to-know

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @bkan ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

3 REPLIES 3
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @bkan ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @bkan ,

As the  official document  said,  Don't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

And we highly recommend installing Enterprise gateway on server rather than Personal

https://radacad.com/the-power-bi-gateway-all-you-need-to-know

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Super User II
Super User II

Hi @bkan ,

You have to install the update on the gateway server only.  I am assuming that this is not a personal gateway,  which would not be installed on a server in the first place. 

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Wave Release 2

Check out the updates in Power BI.

Overview of Power BI 2020 release wave 2!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors