Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JaneLHunt
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Gateway Server April release bug - how to revert back to March release

Hi

Re:  Bug in April Power BI Gateway release as shown on the Power BI Service Status

I installed the April software and now notice there is a bug in the service which can generate InvalidMashupConnectionString error.  According to the Power BI Blog announcement, until the bug is fixed, the solution is to revert back to the March release.

I ran the March Install exe, but it would not install as it said I had a newer version and had to uninstall the April version first.
 Please can you clarify how I revert back to the March software without removing all my settings (data sources etc). 

Many thanks

NB  Just in case people may not be aware, and for future reference - I found that on uninstalling the April version and re-installing the March version I lost any amendments I had made to the configuration files (in my case, Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config to enable performance logging as detailed here ,  in order to use the Gateway Performance PBI  Template file.)  Remember to keep a copy somewhere of any changes made to config files (along with Recovery Key!) before uninstalling Gateway software in order to revert to a previous version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You should be able to uninstall the April release and install the March release without losing any data sources you have setup in the service.  You are just uninstalling/installing software, not removing/deleting the gateway

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You should be able to uninstall the April release and install the March release without losing any data sources you have setup in the service.  You are just uninstalling/installing software, not removing/deleting the gateway

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

I just want to ensure I do not break the link between the on premise Gateway server and the Gateway Service in the cloud.  So I go onto the server and under Programs and Features, uninstall the Gateway software?

Kind regards

Correct.

Then run the install for the March release

Afterwards, login to the service and you should see that the gateway is online

Hi

On the on-premise server, I uninstalled the April Gateway Software and installed the March Software.  It asked me to sign in and gave me these options:

Capture.JPG

Presumably it's Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway and then I have to enter the recovery key when it lists the available gateways?

Thanks

Thanks.

Correct

Many thanks for your help!

I will mark as accepted solution.

Kind regards and stay safe...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors