Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

unclejemima
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI Gateway Enterprise connects and DSN shows, but credentials just hang

I have a enterprise gateway installed, everything tests ok.  When I go into the Power BI online and click on "schedule refresh", then it shows Gateway connection where "use your data gateway- personal" is selected and greyed out, and use data gateway is also greyed out and can't be selected.

Data Source Connections shows "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.".  Both connections show ( I have one ODBC connection to a Pervasive DB and one Excel spreadsheet) but when I click on "edit credentials" it just loads and loads and loads with no error showing.

Can someone give me advice as to why I can't select the "data gateway" enterprise and why the credentials just load and load and load without error.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I might have just answered my own question.  As I'm trying to connect to an excel file and one ODBC connection to a Pervasive DB, then the enterprise will never work...

Here is what I found...

The Personal Gateway takes the data and imports it into Power BI. If you want to extract data from a variety of different places such as an Oracle Database, and Excel Spreadsheets, the Personal Gateway will support this, and the Enterprise Gateway won’t.   Remember the Enterprise Gateway only connects to three different data sources, and Excel and Oracle are not on that list. If you want to manage connection and refresh of the data as the administrator or provide access to the data to everyone who needs it, use the Personal Gateway.

So back to personal and hoping it actually works from here out.  Mine would always disconnect when the server rebooted.  Hope this helps others to avoid the enterprise gateway as its not meant to do the same thing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
unclejemima
Post Patron
Post Patron

Anyone?

Here is a screenshot.

screenshot power bi.JPG

I might have just answered my own question.  As I'm trying to connect to an excel file and one ODBC connection to a Pervasive DB, then the enterprise will never work...

Here is what I found...

The Personal Gateway takes the data and imports it into Power BI. If you want to extract data from a variety of different places such as an Oracle Database, and Excel Spreadsheets, the Personal Gateway will support this, and the Enterprise Gateway won’t.   Remember the Enterprise Gateway only connects to three different data sources, and Excel and Oracle are not on that list. If you want to manage connection and refresh of the data as the administrator or provide access to the data to everyone who needs it, use the Personal Gateway.

So back to personal and hoping it actually works from here out.  Mine would always disconnect when the server rebooted.  Hope this helps others to avoid the enterprise gateway as its not meant to do the same thing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors