Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Gateway Authentication Mode Username and Password - Best Practise

Hi Community,

I currently have the On-Premise Power BI Gateway up and running.

When i go to the 'Manage Gateways' and select a Data Source, whether it is a folder, SQL DB, Oracle DB, File, etc. i must enter my username and password.

However, as we set up password to be reset every 30 days, this can be very troublesome and introduces a risk if unable to enter updated passwords to the Data Sources after they expire. This can result in Dashboards and Reports to being refreshed!

The initial idea was to create a single user who has access to all Data Sources and the password never expired. However, as you can imagine this has been questioned for security reasons. Before i start exploring all options, i through to see what other PBI enthusiasts have done in this scenario.

Thanks All,

Laz

5 REPLIES 5
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not achieve this feature currently, this is decided by your database, different database may different ways of identifying, you may submit an idea in ideas forum:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reply! I dont think a feature is the solution here.

The challenge is using my own username credentials as a connection to the data source, introduces a level of risk, as my password may expire and Power BI will not be able to refresh the data.

I undertand that this is not a Power BI issue or a feature that is needed. Instead what i am asking for is how other people overcome this challenge?

Would it be best to:

- Create a single user with access to all data sources and password never expires

- Create a single user for each source and password never expires

- Etc.

Thanks,

Laz

Hi @Anonymous,

As far as I am concerned, I would prefer to choose create a single user for each source and password never expires. Hope it could help you.

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply @v-danhe-msft

Hi @Anonymous,

If your problem could be solved, don't forget to mark a reply as answer to close this topic.

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors