Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Embedded

Hello,

I have a Power BI Embed for your customers scenario, but something odd is happening which I can't explain.

Setup:

Power BI Embedded A1 SKU.

Service principal as authentication methode, when i remove the service principal from the workspace it is still working. 

Also when i remove the workspace from the Power BI Embedded, the reports will just continue loading. However when i readd the workspace to the A1 SKU and click pause on there the reports don't load anymore and I get the logical notification of cannot load model, capaciity operation is not failed....

Is this a bug, or do I have something wrong in the setup?

If you could help me, thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Even though I might not have the correct answer it make sense for me.

If you pause it, it won't work because the configuration is trying to reach out something that it's not working right now.

On the other hand if you turn the embedd configuration off. You are just saying the workspace it's a regular shared capacity. You CAN embed with a workspace with shared capacity as developer purpose. The reason to buy the licence is that the workspace with the licence can return infinite number of embed tokens. The shared capacity will return a limited amount of embed tokens for the requested service principal or account. You can check your status of embed tokens usage with an API request: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/available-features/get-available-features

The tricky one is the service principal. The only thing I can think about is that the Service Principal removed from the workspace is still working because you might have turned on the "Service Principal can request admin API" in your tenant. But, that's just a guess.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Abarrau I do have one more question.

Could you tell me the location from where we have to do this API call? 

It is not being stated in the documentation. 

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what do you mean with location. You can make the request with any programing language or postman from your machine. You just need to be sure the login to get the embed token is being done with the same account you are using for embedding (or the same service principal).

Then you can make the request of available features with the bearer token obtained.

You can use already prebuilt libraries if you don't know how to handle the API. Like SimplePBI for python.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ibarrau,

Thats sounds logical im going to test it. Thank you for the reply!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Even though I might not have the correct answer it make sense for me.

If you pause it, it won't work because the configuration is trying to reach out something that it's not working right now.

On the other hand if you turn the embedd configuration off. You are just saying the workspace it's a regular shared capacity. You CAN embed with a workspace with shared capacity as developer purpose. The reason to buy the licence is that the workspace with the licence can return infinite number of embed tokens. The shared capacity will return a limited amount of embed tokens for the requested service principal or account. You can check your status of embed tokens usage with an API request: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/available-features/get-available-features

The tricky one is the service principal. The only thing I can think about is that the Service Principal removed from the workspace is still working because you might have turned on the "Service Principal can request admin API" in your tenant. But, that's just a guess.

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors