Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Embedded and Pro, SharePoint Online, Guess access and RLS

So we have a scenario where we want to use Power Bi Embedded to share reports with guests (External users) on SharePoint Online.

What we have setup,

- O365 Group, let's call it "Client ABC", this has a corresponding team on Teams, SharePoint Team Site and Power BI Workspace.

- Added the guest user (tom@client.com) to the "Client ABC" group. Tom has a Power BI Pro license.

- Embedded our report on a modern page in SPO

- Dedicated Power BI Embedded capacity to "Client ABC" workspace

- Setup some RLS rules on our report

Now my queries,

1. Tom is able to view the report on SPO, but the RLS doesn't seem to be applying, what am I doing wrong?

2. Will Tom be able to access the report and "Client ABC" workspace on Power BI? I ask this because until query 1 is sorted, we have to use filters as a means for security (Which isn't prescribed).

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Now my queries,

1. Tom is able to view the report on SPO, but the RLS doesn't seem to be applying, what am I doing wrong?

2. Will Tom be able to access the report and "Client ABC" workspace on Power BI? 

1. Did you add Tom to corresponding Role? Unable to test RLS with guest user

2. External B2B guests are limited to consumption of content only. They can't access the workspace on Power BI.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

1. I did add him to the corresponding role. When testing, as a member of the role, RLS is aplplied; however when testing as Tom, RLS is not applied. Could this perhaps be because Tom is part of "Client ABC" group and thus having access to the complete dataset? AFAIK, this is required for Tom to be able to see the embedded report, right?

2. That will definitely help us secure access to data, however it would be nice if we could use RLS as well.

Thanks

Mohit Garg

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the report I have setup a role, "Client ABC". In Power Bi Online, when I test,

1. As "Client ABC" role, RLS rules are applied

2. As "tom@client.com", RLS rules are not applied

Anyone able to help why this is happening?

Anonymous
Not applicable

After a frustrating day, my conclusions is: RLS setup in Power BI is rendered useless when used with Power BI Embedded because of how Power BI Embedded works. For a user to access an embedded report in SharePoint (SP), they need to have access to the SP page and be part of the workspace the report belongs to. When a user becomes part of that workspace, they automatically gain Owner rights to the datasets in that workspace; and as a result have access to the complete dataset bypassing any RLS roles/rules applied.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors