Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Embedded With Service Principal

Hi All,

We are using Power BI Embedded and we have an dedicated capacity created with A1 Scale.

So whether we will be able to embedded the reports to our application without Purchasing Power BI Pro license if we go with Service principal option.

If yes kindly let me know.

Thanks

Vannikannan.k 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer the second tutorial that I have previously post, it explains it in details.

Here is another document about using service principal: Embed Power BI content with service principal and an application secret 

Please note that: 

If you're using service principal, you can publish reports to the new workspaces using the Power BI REST APIs.

If you have any other problems, please kindly let me know and l'm willing to help you to solve this issue.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please note that:

1. Service principal can embed Power BI content into an application using an app-only token. It also allows you to generate embed tokens that provide access to your application's Power BI dashboards and reports.
  2. While embedding requires the Power BI service, your customers do not need to have a Power BI account to view your application's embedded content.
  3. Service principal only works with new workspaces. Dedicated capacity is required when moving to production.
  4. Embed for your organization applications can't use service principal.
  5. With A SKUs, you can't access Power BI content with a FREE Power BI license.

In conculsion, if you just embeded reports customer application, you don't need to have a Power BI Pro license; if you want to move it to procution and visit power bi content with A SKU, you need to have a Power BI Pro license.

Here are the documents and tutorial about power bi embeded that you can refer in details:

1. Embedded analytics with Power BI 
  2. Tutorial: Embed Power BI content into an application for your customers 
  3. Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yingjie Li,

Thanks for the reply you have metioned in the comment that  if you just embeded reports customer application, you don't need to have a Power BI Pro license.

How does this work like you mean to say we will not have an dedicated workspace and we won't be able to publish reports to required workspace.

So if we go with Service Principal option without Power BI Pro license, how can we embed like in one post they have mentioned like we need to enable service principle option in developer setting, so whether that will be the Power BI Free version that can make this apps own data to work without purchasing the Power BI Pro License.

If there is any url regarding embedding reports without Power BI Pro License using Service principal please do share.

Thanks

Vannikannan.k

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer the second tutorial that I have previously post, it explains it in details.

Here is another document about using service principal: Embed Power BI content with service principal and an application secret 

Please note that: 

If you're using service principal, you can publish reports to the new workspaces using the Power BI REST APIs.

If you have any other problems, please kindly let me know and l'm willing to help you to solve this issue.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Hi Yingjie Li,

I have used the following tutorial for my reference:

Tutorial: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your customers' application

I followed exactly those steps, including the option for PowerBI Pro trial. But, it still did not allow me to proceed Step 6 - Service principal API access 

I could not find Tenant Settings in Settings > Admin Portal.

As below:

tenant-settings-not-found.PNG

What could be missing?

Thank you in advance.

Hello v-yingjl

I am hoping you can help me!  I have spent a week attempting to get an embedded pagingated report working and cannot.  I can use the method correctly for a power bi report - working great and have this rendering within the sandbox app.

The permissions all look correct, the paginated report I am using is a power bi data set.  If I publish a report with data entered within the report, that works correctly and renders.  If I publish a report with no data set - works fine.  As soon as I use a dataset, and I have also tried using the XMLA endpoints, I fail and receive the following error

There was an error contacting an underlying data source. Manage your credentials or gateway settings on the management page. Please verify that the data source is available, your credentials are correct and that your gateway settings are valid.

If you are able to help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello alanatnfa !

Only a powerbi admin user in your company will be able to access the settings in the AdminPortal, and it is also worth remembering that if you want to apply the capacity to other Workspaces, you will also need to have additional access to the Capacity in Azure.

Check in your company who would be the "PowerBI Admin" person and ask for help to enable API Access.

Lastly, give access to the service principal as a Workspace admin (just as you add a collaborator, you can also search for the service principal name.)

If the problem has not been resolved, check in Azure if the service principal has the necessary accesses for what you need (PowerBI APIs).

Hugs!

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You don't need a license for every user accessing it.   I assume you are embedding with app owns data approach.

If you do that, you can embed in your app, but you manage the access to the reports through your own authorization.

A1 is really small,  so unless you are doing very small testing and don't refresh larger datasets it may not serve your purposes.  Make sure you do some capacity planning based on usage and then pick a capacity to ensure your reports will render and the datasets will load based on the memory and CPU available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created the service principal in AADand using Microsoft power bi developers code to embed the reports now the reports are embedded < refer to this link > https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-sample-for-customers?tabs=net-co... 

sailochana_0-1701941878794.png

so now after this how i have to proceed to push my reports to production . 

I have to display those reports in one of my projects now how to connect this to frontend  .

Can u explain the flow how to approach

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors