Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dr3sss
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded - REST API cost, architecture

Hello.

I've been looking for a few days information about Power BI Embedded with the REST API and i wasn't able to find what I'm looking for.

After read severals pages, forums and others, and after a few hours dealing with some code examples, I could deploy a example connecting to my Reports and Dashboards.

BUT, so far I haven't been able to find if there is a cost for using this services. How is the billing? Do I only need 1 Power BI PRO licence? and everyone in my office would be able to access to those reports as many as the want?

I just found that the Power BI embedded with azure has a cost but I don't understad the cost either. A few months ago the cost was cheap, but now it seems that the costs are very high! it depends of what you choose: how many cores, memory and so on. The cheapest one is A1 and costs 1.008 per hour and you have 300 renders in peek hour.

HELP! 

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dr3sss,

Licensing requirements for embedded analytics
Two elements are required to take embedded analytics to production. First, Power BI Pro licenses are required for administration, content publishing, and development. Then, Power BI Premium is required for testing and deployment.
Development
Development requires a Power BI Pro license for each developer on the team. Anyone using the Power BI APIs is required to have a Power BI Pro license. Power BI Pro licenses contain all APIs and can be used to develop a full proof of concept.
Pre-production and production
For testing and deployment, Power BI Premium must be acquired. Power BI Premium enables full testing of the solution with embed tokens that allow multi-user access to the embedded Power BI reports and dashboards. When deploying to a production environment, options include using the same Power BI Premium capacity used for pre-production or a dedicated capacity for pre-production and another for production.
How much capacity do I need?
Calculating how much capacity is needed is based on multiple parameters like the specific data models used, the number and complexity of queries, the hourly distribution of the usage of your SaaS application, the data refresh rates, and other usage patterns that are hard to predict.
This paper serves as guidance when planning capacity. Capacity estimation is not an exact science and performance cannot be guaranteed.

For more details, you can refer to the Plan capacity for embedded analytics with Power BI Premium whitepaper. Smiley Happy

Regards

Power BI premium is SO SOO EXPENSIVE! WE can not afford pay 5K per month just because around 100 users in my company need access to those report embedded into our corporate web site (price was takken from https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/calculator/)

I think i didn0t make myself clear about my doubts.

I've been told that there 3 ways to embed Power BI into a web page:

1. Copy and paste the code that the Power BI site gives you when you click "File/Publish to Web".
  2. Power BI embedded Azure. Using severals ways as the console, you can create a workspace and publish into it reports that then will be call using Tokens into your web page. In this case, you would need a Power BI Pro License, and azure account to allocate those reports. The cost is the one you said in the post. VERY EXPENSIVE ONE for small solutions.
  3. Power BI API.  This way, using the API to connect to your Power BI Pro Account, you can access reports and dashboard that are into your workspace identifying by a GUID. Before do this, you have to register your APP into azure Active Directory (Azure AD) All these is to get you ClientID to identify reports. This is ABSOLUTELY FREE (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/active-directory-howto-tenant). To register your app there are severals way (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-register-app/). 

I was able to to all the 3th option. But now my concern is about billing. Do i have to pay something else than my Power BI pro License? how much it would be so? where can i check this?

Hi @dr3sss,

Here is a good article which clearly explains the difference between A, EM and P SKUs for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors