Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mako2
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded Parameters and Filter - row level security on SSAS Cube

I'm using service analysis cube and in dimenssion table customer there are over 1000 records.
The goal is to share charts with external customer in iframe and each customer can only see their own data.
I could find 2 potentiall ways to achieve this:
1)Filter in url - like ?filter=<Table>/<Field> eq 'value' - but here there is no security as user can simply change url and see all data
2)Row level security - if I have more than 1000 customers should I create the same number of rules to filter out data?

Also, with 1 customer number of different users can view report.

What is the best approach to filter SSAS Cube data by customerId?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mako2,

Filter in url - like ?filter=<Table>/<Field> eq 'value' - but here there is no security as user can simply change url and see all data

The option that filtering a report with a URL query string parameter only works to Service URL. If you append the query string 

?filter=<Table>/<Field> eq 'value' to the URL generated from iframe via publishing to Web, it won't make any difference to report.

Row level security - if I have more than 1000 customers should I create the same number of rules to filter out data?

It depends on how you want to grant access to those customers. After creating different roles in desktop, you can add multiple members to corresponding roles by typing in the email address, or name, of the user, security group or distribution list you want to add. In other words, for those customers have been added to the same role, they can see same data rows.  Also, you can try Username() function to configure Row-Level Security (RLS). However, the limitation you need to be aware of is external sharing is not currently supported with datasets that use RLS. And RLS doesn't work if publishing to web. Reference: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Per my knowledge, the above two options you mentioned might not work in your scenario. To configure Power BI embedded Row Level Security, you could refer to:

how to create custom filters for power bi embedded reports

Row level security with Power BI Embedded

Besides, if you have any concern about Power BI embedded, please post your question on Power BI develop forum so that you can get more professional advice.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors