cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cesaden

Power BI Embedded - License

I want to embed my Power BI reports into a private website for a client. I will be the only report builder and I am a Pro user. My client has a small team (3-4 people). As far as I see there are two license options:
1- Dedicated Power BI Server (Azure Power BI Embedded, Power BI Premium capacity). With this method, non-Power BI members can view the reports. The cost is starting from approximately 750$/month
2- Report builders and viewers must have a Power BI Pro account. In our situation, it will be cheaper (50$/month)

Do I get it right? If yes, buying Pro licenses for every user is more efficient for us. But when I tested it, every user needs to log in to Power BI manually. Is there a way to add Power BI credentials in the embedded code? (I found some access tokens but they are valid for an hour)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mwegener
Super User
Super User

Hi @cesaden 

Yes, you see that correctly. The users must be logged in so that the per user license and access rights can be checked. I think there is no workaround, except that the users are permanently logged in.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener work at KUMAVISION AG , one of the world's largest
implementation partners for Microsoft Dynamics. #
"Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI  @cesaden ,

The second approach you chose is indeed the better one. What needs to be considered though is whether the number of people visiting that report will increase in the future or not with 3 or 4 people.

And about Power BI Auto Login ,refer the following links:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Auto-Login/m-p/44890 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56527048/auto-sign-in-to-power-bi-through-code-so-as-the-report-... 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Use-Master-User-for-auto-login-to-Power-Bi-Embedded-for/m...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

mwegener
Super User
Super User

Hi @cesaden 

Yes, you see that correctly. The users must be logged in so that the per user license and access rights can be checked. I think there is no workaround, except that the users are permanently logged in.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener work at KUMAVISION AG , one of the world's largest
implementation partners for Microsoft Dynamics. #
"Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Kudoed Authors