Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

guptasunal
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI EM1 integration with CRM Dynamics 365

Hi All

My use case is, i want to enable Dynamics 365 users to embed Power BI dashboard in their Dynamics 365 portal. For their Power BI access however, we are getting EM1 license provisioned (because of other requirements to embed into custom application, SaaS, cost-effective etc.). The question is, would a Dynamics 365 user be able to see Power BI dashboards in his Dynamics 365 portal especially because Dynamics 365 license would be a user based license while Power BI EM1 license is a capacity license and not really tagged to a user.

The other question is, can i as a Dynamics 365 admin or whatever, embed a common report to be visible to all my Dynamics 365 users on their portals when they login?

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @guptasunal,

It seems like EM1 users still need pro license to see embed contents.

Spoiler

Capacity tiers

There are two types of capacity within Power BI. Shared capacity and Power BI Premium capacity. Here is a look at what the differences are between them.

Shared capacity Power BI Premium capacity
Refresh rate 8/day Not restricted
Isolation with dedicated hardware
Enterprise Distribution to all users    
Apps 1
Embedded API and controls 2
Publish Power BI reports on-premises

1 Free user consumption in apps includes viewing content in web and mobile, using Q&A, Quick Insights, Cortana, export to CSV, Excel and PowerPoint. A Pro license is required for other activities that are not listed, such as creating reports on shared datasets and Analyze in Excel. Learn more about Power BI Free vs Pro functionality.
2 Future enhancements coming to Power BI Premium post GA.

Please refer to below links to know more about this feature:

Power BI Premium - what is it?

Add or edit Power BI visualizations on your dashboard

Notice: these users accounts need to have permission to view dashboard.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft, I don't think you understand the question. EM1 is a Power BI Premium License.

HI @guptasunal,

Nope, I also talk about power bi premium license. Current EM1 licenses(for tenant) not works for embed to sharepoint or dynamic 365, members still need pro license.

>>can i as a Dynamics 365 admin or whatever, embed a common report to be visible to all my Dynamics 365 users on their portals when they login?

Maybe you can try to use publish to web feature and copy iframe code as dynamic 365 contents.

Publish to web from Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft, i understand report creators need pro license, but do report consumers also need a pro license to see embedded content in SharePoint? 

Hi @guptasunal,

It seems like you are confused with my description.

I list these methods below:

1. Pro users embed contents only allow pro users to viewer it.
2. Contents embed from premium license allow all user to view.(not need account)
3. 'Embed to sharepoint' feature to embed report to sharepoint current seems not recognize premium license so viewers still need pro license.

Embed to dynamic 365 request users have power bi accounts to access power bi contents.

Hope above can help you understanding more clearly.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msftThanks for the reply, this makes sense. But following up on your point 3, why cant premium license users not see embedded content in sharepoint? is it a defect that microsoft is working on, or is it supposed to be like that?

HI @guptasunal,

Hmm, I also not so sure what caused the issue.

AFAIK, current power bi use specific feature(beta) to embed contents rather than general embed function. Sharepoint site will analysis specific code to load embed contents, I think it may due to internal reasons.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft, i understand report creators need pro license, but do report consumers also need a pro license to see embedded content in SharePoint? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors