Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TeedoGz

Power BI - Dynamic Report - Adhoc Table

Hello all,

I'm looking for a technic to be able to create a fully dynamic table. I'm coming from Qlik and enjoying working with Power BI. I have some users that request (as they have in their old QlikView app) a table where they could themselves select the dimensions and measures.

To give more details, I want to give them a list of selectable dimensions and measures, and if they pick one or two dimensions and one or two measures, it automatically create a table with those fields and measures.

TeedoGz_0-1657531159152.png

The trick is that if the user is not selecting a dimension, I do not want to have an empty column.

Is that even possible in Power BI ? In Qlik, there is conditionnal display rule that you can based on the selected values.

I know with the dataset within Excel, they can create their own crosstable, but saying to my client that to do the same thing that they were able to do in their old tool, they have to use Excel is hard to accept for them...

Thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @TeedoGz 

There are many ways of achieving what you want.

You could use the Q&A visualisation, this will allow your users to ask questions like "sum <measurename> and <measurename> by <dimension> as a matrix".

see more on Q&A here ..Use Power BI Q&A to explore and create visuals - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Or you could create a Matrix visual and then allow the users to personalize the visualisation, which will allow the users to pick other fields in the matrix, or select other dimensions and measures.

see more on personalisation here: Let users personalize visuals in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

These are some of the main ways you can allow your users to create dynamic visualisations.

hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @TeedoGz 

There are many ways of achieving what you want.

You could use the Q&A visualisation, this will allow your users to ask questions like "sum <measurename> and <measurename> by <dimension> as a matrix".

see more on Q&A here ..Use Power BI Q&A to explore and create visuals - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Or you could create a Matrix visual and then allow the users to personalize the visualisation, which will allow the users to pick other fields in the matrix, or select other dimensions and measures.

see more on personalisation here: Let users personalize visuals in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

These are some of the main ways you can allow your users to create dynamic visualisations.

hope this helps

Stuart

Hello @Burningsuit,

Thank you for your quick reply, the solution by creating a perspective is perfect. I am sure my users will be happy with that.

Thanks again 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors