Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fishleaf
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Direct Connect Refresh to XLS Fail

Hello,

The backgroud information is, I have an XLS file on our SharePoint Online. At the begining, I use "SharePoint Folder" as the data source and navigate to my file. On my Power BI Desktop, I can build my report and even refresh my data without any problem.

2017-02-16_10-23-19.jpg

The problem comes after I published it on Powerbi.com. I entered my OAth2 Credential and used the direct connect method. However, the system returns the following message:Excel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider is required to connect to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.

2017-02-16_10-28-31.jpg

But we all know that it is a direct connect, and it is the Power BI server that does the refresh job, there's no way I can install the connector there...

I also tried to switch the data source to "Web" (Like how we connect to a data from OneDrive for Business), but I still get the same error. 

Did anyone run into the simliar error?

Thank you,

Matthew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @fishleaf,

As described in this article "Power BI supports importing or connecting to workbooks created in Excel 2007 and later. Workbooks must be saved as .xlsx or .xlsm file type and be under 1 GB", refreshing against a .xls file is not supported currently. 

A similar idea is already shared on Power BI Ideas. You can vote it up and add your comments here to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@fishleaf Can't say I have a lot of direct experiance, but I know @Mike_Carlo wrote up a walkthrough on that here and there are some tidbits in the comments that may be helpful with the refreshing.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Actually I used the same method as the link used (you can tell our "Applied Steps" are the same). 

I think the only issue here is the XLS file... I don't know how to make power bi "refresh server" read the xls file, or there's are some good workaround...

Thank you,

Matthew

@fishleaf Give a peek at this thread. Looking more closely at the error, it appears you are missing a data provider/ it's a 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978,

Thank you so much for the follow up. Actually this is not the same issue. 

You can tell your thread shows he has issue with Power BI Desktop, so we can tell he didn't install the connector on his local machine. I can also refresh it on my local machine becasue I installed the connector. 

But my problem is the Power BI Online version. When using direct connect, the Power BI server, not my local machine, does the refresh. Since it is on the cloud, I can trigger this refresh from any machine. So even I install the connect in my local, the server will give me an error message. 

That's why I run out of work around... because business requires the file to be xls... I can't believe Power BI Server didn't install the connector...

Thank you,

Matthew 

Hi @fishleaf,

As described in this article "Power BI supports importing or connecting to workbooks created in Excel 2007 and later. Workbooks must be saved as .xlsx or .xlsm file type and be under 1 GB", refreshing against a .xls file is not supported currently. 

A similar idea is already shared on Power BI Ideas. You can vote it up and add your comments here to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.Smiley Happy

Regards

Thank you so much for this research!! I tired Google but totally missed this article!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors