Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v5out

Power BI Desktop error when connecting to local MySQL

I have a local MySQL server running and can connect to it and view data with Workbench.

1. Start Power BI Desktop - Get Data - MySQL Database - Connect

2. In "MySQL Database" dialog enter "localhost" or name of local machine, tried both ways. Enter name of database. Hit Okay.

3. Get "Query1 - Query Editor" dialog which says "DataSource.Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You are most likely getting a "user not authorized error". Go to File | Options and Settings | Data source settings and edit your data source. I have gotten MySQL to work but I used Database credentials, not Windows credentials. I built this using MySQL database:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/amend-purpose-bill-text-analytics-us-congress-greg-deckler?trk=pulse_...

I *think* I included some specifics about the connections and such in that article.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RADFS_FinCon

Untitled.jpg

Good Day, All.

I have adopted the advised solution - realignment to "Database Credential, from Windows Credential" - this had solved the initial problem, as per the other users.

However, due to my lack of experience in Power BI, I have unearthed another "gremlin" - see the above picture.

There is reference to:"The name provided is not a properly formed account name"

Can someone help me, please...???! 

Thanks in advance

Regards

RADFS_FinCon

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You are most likely getting a "user not authorized error". Go to File | Options and Settings | Data source settings and edit your data source. I have gotten MySQL to work but I used Database credentials, not Windows credentials. I built this using MySQL database:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/amend-purpose-bill-text-analytics-us-congress-greg-deckler?trk=pulse_...

I *think* I included some specifics about the connections and such in that article.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks smoupre, you were exactly right!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors