Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v5out

Power BI Desktop crashes frequently when I Manage Relationships

I've connected PBD to a local MySQL database and brought in 7 tables with a total of 100 columns. When I try to Manage Relationships (PBD gets them 100% wrong) PBD crashes most of the time. There's nothing unusal about the data or the foreign keys between tables, they follow the standard RoR convention, e.g. a "user_id" integer key in a table points to the user record with that id.

Any known fix or workaround? Anybody else have this problem?

I'd like to use PBD instead of Qlik or Tableau because the pricing is great but it's not reliable with the MySQL data I'm using.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

First, make sure you are on the latest build of Power BI Desktop, I have worked with it with MySQL and have not seen these issues.

Second, go to File | Options and settings | Options

Under CURRENT FILE

You can uncheck the options to automatically try to detect the data sources and import relationships from data source. Might solve your issue and you can just manually create the correct relationships.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

First, make sure you are on the latest build of Power BI Desktop, I have worked with it with MySQL and have not seen these issues.

Second, go to File | Options and settings | Options

Under CURRENT FILE

You can uncheck the options to automatically try to detect the data sources and import relationships from data source. Might solve your issue and you can just manually create the correct relationships.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I've had the same issue with it constantly crashing when selecting/unselecting checkboxes in "Manage relationships". Tried turning off auto-detect but it still persists. Is it the complexity of my data that's causing this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors