Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Datasets and Thin Reports

Hi, i've created a dataset which i've published to the service and want to use to create a series of thin reports.

When I create a thin report (just using the published dataset and not adding any local data or measures) and publish it a new dataset is created along with the report. Is this expected behaviour? My assumption was that just the report would be created on the service and not another dataset. 

Any clarity on how this process should work is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed reply @Burningsuit

The steps you describe are exactly those i've been following, apart from i've been building my visualisations from a local data model and then switching it to the PBI dataset at the end via Transform data > Data source settings > Change source button.

Based on your comments i've noticed that the Storage Mode in my pbix is DirectQuery... If I open up a brand new pbix and connect to the PBI dataset I do indeed get what you say, i.e. 'Connected live to the Power BI Dataset xxxxx'. It doesn't seem possible to change the Storage Mode in my original pbix once i've connected to the PBI dataset.

Edit: I deleted the dataset and then connected to it again, I now get the 'connected live' message and when I publish the report I now don't get the dataset published to. Excellent!

So my issue was changing the source rather than deleting it entirely and then connecting to the PBI dataset.

Thanks for your help Stuart 🙂

Nick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

No, I don't think that's expected behaviour.

You must be doing something different, what I do is..

• Open Power BI Desktop
  • Select "Power BI Dataset" from the ribbon (or "Get Data", "Power BI Dataset")
  • The navigator pops up showing the Datasets I can access
  • Select the Dataset and click "Create"
  • I'm then connected to the Dataset with the Fields on the right hand side.
  • Note also at the right hand footer of the Desktop it says "connected live to the Power BI dataset xxxx"
  • Build the Visualisations required
  • Save the local pbix
  • Publish the Report.

That gets me a Report connected to the Dataset, often referred to as a "Thin" report.

What are you doing differently ?

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed reply @Burningsuit

The steps you describe are exactly those i've been following, apart from i've been building my visualisations from a local data model and then switching it to the PBI dataset at the end via Transform data > Data source settings > Change source button.

Based on your comments i've noticed that the Storage Mode in my pbix is DirectQuery... If I open up a brand new pbix and connect to the PBI dataset I do indeed get what you say, i.e. 'Connected live to the Power BI Dataset xxxxx'. It doesn't seem possible to change the Storage Mode in my original pbix once i've connected to the PBI dataset.

Edit: I deleted the dataset and then connected to it again, I now get the 'connected live' message and when I publish the report I now don't get the dataset published to. Excellent!

So my issue was changing the source rather than deleting it entirely and then connecting to the PBI dataset.

Thanks for your help Stuart 🙂

Nick

So do you have to start with a blank report everytime? I am trying to do the same thing but starting with a template. If I delete all the data source and then try to add a PBI dataset it will always import in DirectQuery mode. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors