Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jat75
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Dataset using multiple gateways?

Hello,

I'm wondering how, or if, it's possible for a Power BI dataset to use data sources from 2 different gateways?

We have a client with 2 gateways - one is in their domain and connected to a SQL Server, and the other is in our domain connected to a Tabular model. They've built a Power BI model pulling data from both and would like to schedule a refresh of it in the Power BI service. However it appears that Power BI only supports a dataset to use one gateway. I couldn't find any documention confirming this though - anyone tried to do something similar?

Here's a screenshot of the configuration on the dataset. Notice that even "Use a Data Gateway" is greyed out...

Refresh Screen.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jat75 Correct, currently all data sources in a particular report need to have the same datasources on a single gateway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MaKH
Regular Visitor

@jat75 Correct, currently all data sources in a particular report need to have the same datasources on a single gateway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer  !

Seems you may be able to answer my question. I have two data sources (two different on-premise sharepoint sites) and I have set up a gateway to these sources to schedule refresh (the same gateway).

I can use the gateway with reports querying data from each of these sources, but the gateway doesn't work if I try to use it on a dataset that queries both sharepoint sites.

Is this a limitation on how gateways work? Or is it a different problem?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors