Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

benchjeff
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Dataset not automatically refreshing.

We have an excel file that is uploaded to sharepoint that we work on together in Microsoft Teams. We want this document to automatically update to a Power BI that we use to display the data on TV's in our production line.

Unfortunately, our dataset is not automatically updating even with OneDrive Refresh turned on.

At one point it was updating about 5-10 minutes after a change was made to an excel file which allowed the dataset to update but that is no longer the case, and no, the excel document was not moved or renamed.

Does anyone have a similar experience or know of good solutions/implementations should this be a lost cause?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @benchjeff 

I have found previously that sometimes the OneDrive refresh goes out of sync is that causes more issues and time to try and fix than it is worth.

I would import the data and then use the scheduled refresh 8 times a day (If power BI Pro license) and have it refreshing that way?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

You know, we actually decided to move away from our method and are currently working on something different. We are using Power Automate to make a dataset from our Excel file. This works and the dataset refreshes every 10 minutes.

The only problem is that every time we change data in a cell, it duplicates that row in the database. Thereby making the update process fail.

Hi @benchjeff 

Yeah that is the challenge when using Excel files it is linked to the column names.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors