Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shankhadeep008

Power BI Dataset (Connected primarily to AAS model) to create measures to be used in other reports

Hi,

I have a situation where I have a Power BI report A, which is connected Live to an AAS model.
I need to create measures Locally on report A and I have publised this to a Workspace W1.
I then need to use Report A as a Power BI Dataset feom W1 as a source to other reports say (B and C).

Expectation is I should see all measures created in Power BI Report A in Report B and C.

We have encountered that this is not working as the primary report A is connected live with an AAS model. But we are hoping that there must be a workaround or something that we are doing wrong here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The thing is if you want to keep the live connection you won't have a dataset like I have said before. If you can to connect to a dataset you need to generate one (import data or direct query). The best practice would be modify the tabular in AAS to keep the measures you need and connect there.
If you have premium capacity you may be able to try the composite model approach that takes data from AAS or Datasets leting you combine it with anotherone converting it as direct query. If you do that with Report A it might be accesible with Report B as live, but C should take from A too.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jcarterdean
Frequent Visitor

We rarely use direct queries, but we have used the analysis service portion of Premium workplaces to access another datasets we have no control over get dimension/measure and to pull that into a dataflow and then re-use multiple places.

(e.g. connecting to analysis service at powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/<workspace>)

also done the same using a mdx query where a proper measure wasn't built, often easier to build in desktop then past into a dataflow blank query.

however if others have said the direct query ones do not appear agains aas then you may have no choice but to use an import model.

shankhadeep008

Hi @ibarrau and @ibarrau ,
Thank you for your reply but I think the workaround does not work when I just want to create measure o report B duplicating report A and then want to use the dataset in Report C.

What  I want here is a 1:* solution. Where creating Measure on one Dataset of Report A,  I should be able to use them in n number of reports connected to Dataset of Report A.

ASS ---> Dataset of Report A ---> Report B , Report C, . . . Report N

So If I duplicate report A to Report B then I have to do the same with Report C I think. Which I want to avoid.

The thing is if you want to keep the live connection you won't have a dataset like I have said before. If you can to connect to a dataset you need to generate one (import data or direct query). The best practice would be modify the tabular in AAS to keep the measures you need and connect there.
If you have premium capacity you may be able to try the composite model approach that takes data from AAS or Datasets leting you combine it with anotherone converting it as direct query. If you do that with Report A it might be accesible with Report B as live, but C should take from A too.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shankhadeep008,

You can create measure on AAS model, please refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tutorial-tabular-1400/as-lesson-6-create-measures...

Then you can get your expectation.

Best Regards,

Link

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. You can't do that. When you use "Live Connection" you are not creating a dataset. You are creating a report connected to a dataset. That's why Report B won't be able to get data from Report A. Reports don't get data from reports, they get data from datasets.

The workaround is creating the measures in AAS. You should always keep your dataset up to date if you are planning to reuse the measures. That's the best practice. 

A different approach would be duplicating report A to build report B. That way the report B will have the measures created in A and still be live connected to AAS.

If the data is not so big, you can import the AAS model in report A, create measures and the live connect report B. This last option is a bad idea, but it would work.

Hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors