Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vw_golf_mk3
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Dataset Access Distribution Issues

Hi,

I have a requirement to share a dataset and a report built on it to different workspaces. Can I limit users' edit right in the workspaces to which I distribute/share? However, I do want to give users edit ability on the dataset within their own workspaces? Is there a solution to this scenario sharing datasets in app workspaces rather than via content pack as it will be deprecated in the new future?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vw_golf_mk3 The possibility to deploy a "shared" dataset to a workspace is actually better in my opinion. Having users live connect to that dataset and deploy reports to the workspace is much more stable in my opinion. I never liked the "version of a version" type deployment confusion that content packs allowed. In addition, it has a serious single point of failure that could have huge impacts downstream if the orginal user deleted the content pack.

There is a gap in users not being able to use a currated dataset wherever they want. But, there are options that you could pursue to extend the solution. If you used Analysis Services (Cloud or on Premises) you could have a data model that could be used anywhere by anyone and not worry about updates/changes happeninging to it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@vw_golf_mk3

I have a requirement to share a dataset and a report built on it to different workspaces. Can I limit users' edit right in the workspaces to which I distribute/share? Users either have read only or edit rights in the workspace. You can't do this on a dataset level, so it depends on what level of granularity you need.

However, I do want to give users edit ability on the dataset within their own workspaces? Do you mean personal workspace? You would need to grant the user rights to access the dataset themselves, and/or give them access to the PBIX to publish to their own workspace. If you mean an App Workspace, you can give members edit rights to content.

Is there a solution to this scenario sharing datasets in app workspaces rather than via content pack as it will be deprecated in the new future? Either end users are consumers only (read only) when you share via app or dashboard. OR. They have edit rights to the datasets in a shared workspace (App Workspace). There is currently no "Universal Dataset" that would allow users or groups to access content outside of the afortmentioned ways that you could just turn on or share to groups.

In your scenario, the only option I see is to be a member or admin of the App workspaces and deploy the original dataset/report. Then they could connect to the dataset via the Power BI Desktop to develop further reports on the deployed datset via the connection to the Power BI Service. But this only works for App Workspaces, not anything they would want to do personally. They would need the actual source PBIX to do anything in their personal workspace with extending the dataset or building reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks very much for your reply.

Sounds like to share end users with datasets can be only via sharing PBIX file now, which is very different from sharing via content packs. What it was used to be was that I created a content pack and added users along with it. Those who were added could get data from Apps - same place as the new Apps reside - in there own workspaces. Surprisingly, I just found out that my past created content packs is no longer able to update who gets access to the content pack. Neither single user email, nor app workspace emails. Warining is "Be sure to enter valid groups" or "The following groups have failed validation.." 

Sharing PBIX file is a totally different story, because end user can possibly change relationship or add unwanted data to the original one, which is something needs to be avoided.

In this regard, the newly recommended App Workspace does not quite seem to have all the ability content pack used to have. Why is that?

@vw_golf_mk3 The possibility to deploy a "shared" dataset to a workspace is actually better in my opinion. Having users live connect to that dataset and deploy reports to the workspace is much more stable in my opinion. I never liked the "version of a version" type deployment confusion that content packs allowed. In addition, it has a serious single point of failure that could have huge impacts downstream if the orginal user deleted the content pack.

There is a gap in users not being able to use a currated dataset wherever they want. But, there are options that you could pursue to extend the solution. If you used Analysis Services (Cloud or on Premises) you could have a data model that could be used anywhere by anyone and not worry about updates/changes happeninging to it.

I am with you now, @Seth_C_Bauer. I do not like version of version type either. So the program to deploy shared dataset is via SSAS?

@vw_golf_mk3 SQL Server Analysis Services or Azure Analysis Services are the enterprise platform by which you can create a tabular model (the same technology in the PBI Desktop) to a server or cloud. Power BI can live connect to the model, and you have a single model to update and all the changes will be available in all your datasets/reports downstream.

vw_golf_mk3
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer @Greg_Deckler Power BI gurus,

Could you please shed some lights on it?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors