Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbix
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Dataflows and Data Lakes

Hello, 

Just reading the November update for Power BI which indicates the following:

• Dataflows can be configured to store the data in the customer’s Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 instance, fueling collaboration across roles. Business analysts can seamlessly operate on data stored in Azure Data Lake Storage, taking advantage of its scale, performance, and security. Meanwhile, data engineers and data scientists can extend insights with advanced analytics and AI from complementary Azure Data Services like Azure Machine Learning, Azure Databricks, and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
  • Dataflows support the Microsoft Common Data Model, giving organizations the ability to leverage a standardized and extensible collection of data schemas (entities, attributes and relationships)

Interested in the forum's perspective - is there still a place for Analysis Services (e.g. SSAS Tabular/MDX) as a primary source of information for Power BI reports? Or will dependence on Analysis Services diminish in favour of the above technologies - e.g. PBI data modelling, PBI data service, MS common data model, SQL DWH etc?

Thanks, 

pbix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi pbix,

It seems to be a deep topic about relationship and difference between online data process and traditional ETL. I think both are still useful in specific senarios. For power bi datasource, I would recommend you to try data flow because dataflow is a suite self-service low-code/no-code features and capabilities for business analysts to easily process and unify their data and store it in Azure-based data-lake storage.  With these new capabilities, Power BI offers a solution for any business need—whether you want to prep your data with ease, using a familiar built-in Power Query experience, or to leverage the full Azure stack for more advanced use-cases.

Also, in other senario, the comparsion is also meaningful, I would recommend you to refer to blog below:

https://www.jamesserra.com/archive/2017/12/is-the-traditional-data-warehouse-dead/.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi pbix,

It seems to be a deep topic about relationship and difference between online data process and traditional ETL. I think both are still useful in specific senarios. For power bi datasource, I would recommend you to try data flow because dataflow is a suite self-service low-code/no-code features and capabilities for business analysts to easily process and unify their data and store it in Azure-based data-lake storage.  With these new capabilities, Power BI offers a solution for any business need—whether you want to prep your data with ease, using a familiar built-in Power Query experience, or to leverage the full Azure stack for more advanced use-cases.

Also, in other senario, the comparsion is also meaningful, I would recommend you to refer to blog below:

https://www.jamesserra.com/archive/2017/12/is-the-traditional-data-warehouse-dead/.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors