cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
healthEteam Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Power BI Dataflow to Azure Data Lake Gen2 Setup

Thanks Ben -

If you would, can you please update this thread when this update has been released so we will know when we can go retreive it.

Thanks again

joshbrownwsna Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately, I linked my power bi account before finding this post. While we have linked the power bi account, we have not configured any of our app workspaces to use the linked storage account. Will using dataflows like this cause us issues or will our flows continue to populate the Power BI storage?

Is there any way in Power BI to unlink the account?  There does not seem to be a setting to do so in the Power BI interface.

Josh

Super User
Super User

Hi All,

I am having similar issues connecting my Azure Data Lake account to Power BI Dataflows. I have called Microsoft Support to get this resolved. I wait till next week before the fix is in place.

I find this thread really helpful.

Thanks,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Frequent Visitor

Hi Everyone,

Posting in case anyone has linked their account before they have the ACLs in place as I have. I can answer the questions I posed above.

As I noted above I had linked our Powr BI account to our gen 2 storage account before I found this thread. However, since we had not enabled any of our workspaces to use the data lake storage account, our exiisting Dataflows have continued to write to the Power BI storage.

Said another way using Dataflows with Data Lake storage takes 5 steps:

1. Create a Gen2 Storage account
2. Configure the storage account so that the Powe BI service (power query, power bi service, power bi premium) can read and write to the storage account. This is done in Azure and the storage explorer (once it’s updated).
3. Use the admin panel in Power Bi web app to Enable/link your Power BI instance to the storage account.
4. Use the admin panel in Power BI to provide workspace admins the ability to use datalake storage for their Dataflows.
5. Use the Power BI web app to enable the use of Datalake storage for dataflows in for each workspace

Unless all of these steps are done the data flow will continue to use the internal power bi storage.

Hope that’s helpful to others. This is all laid out in the different pieces of documentation, however, it’s not as clear if you start out from the Powe BI admin panel. If I’m in correct please let me know!

Josh
b5lurker
Advisor

Some progress today!

I was able to get the 1.6.1 release of ASE installed today by Opting In on Insider Builds and checking for updates. Once that was setup I was able to complete the ACL changes for the Power BI Service and Power Query Online applications!

Now I'm stuck on the connection in the Power BI Admin panel where I have correctly filled in my Subscription ID, Resource Group Name and Data Lake Storage Account and it just shows a "Something went wrong" error:

Something went wrong
Error while connecting your Data Lake Storage account
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 3dfbcee0-9cdd-4137-b626-31d40d8aa15a
Request ID: 4f8a2a8e-a28d-ee1d-39b2-f81c9e5048e0
Correlation ID: d56c5d02-bd2a-1afd-4dc9-29f46a15d640
Time: Fri Dec 14 2018 14:02:35 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
Version: 13.0.7683.181
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Not sure what is causing this error as there no other details provided. I do know that there is some text in the documentation about having your ADLSg2 setup in the same region as your Power BI tenant. Our Power BI tenant is in West US as you can see from the link shown in the error above. I was unable to setup an ADLSg2 storage account in West US, so the one that I'm trying to point to is in West US 2. Not sure if that is part of the problem or not, but it is the only thing that stands out for our setup.

At least we are a few steps closer now. Smiley Happy

Happy Friday!

Steve

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Everyone,

I was also able to add the ACLs using the internal build. In addition, since my account was already connected, I was able to work through all the steps in the configuration document. 

I also created a new workspace and was able to configure the workspace to use data lake storage. 

Please note, this option is only available in workspaces created to view the new experience.  If your workspace has been created via an O365 group, you will not be able to configure it to use data lake storage.

Unfortunately, when I try to save a workflow I get the following error:

Something went wrong
Unable to save the dataflow.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 6cf62757-8eed-4c8f-b89a-19e737873a62
Request ID: 4ebf59ad-5980-ed22-5432-3f2915ef5446
Correlation ID: 1f1bbc99-c76b-8c1b-54af-aaa270b10656
Status code: 500
Time: Fri Dec 14 2018 22:07:33 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Version: 13.0.7683.181
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net

So, unfortunately, no dice ... yet. But progress!

Thanks to everyone for the help.  This has been a great thread!

*** Update 12/16/18 ***

Hi Everyone,

Double checked my config tonight against the instructions laid out in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-connect-azure-data-lake-storage-gen2.  Noted my config appears correct, but still getting the 500 error.  Any help in review would be appreciated!

Josh

bensack Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi All, 

Azure Storage Explorer version 1.6.1 is now available as an insider build, and I can confirm it has fixed the issue of setting ACLs.

Here is what you can do to obtain it:

1.  In Azure Storage Explorer, click on the Help menu, then Opt in to insider builds.

2.  In Azure Storage Explorer, click on the Help menu, then Check for updates.

After a few moments, a notification bar will appear notifying you a new version is available with an option to install it.

Once installation is complete, you can follow the instructions in Power BI documentation to complete the setup:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-connect-azure-data-lake-storage-gen2

Thank you,

Ben

xuanalytics Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Josh,

I am getting the exact same error as you got. I configured everything according to the Microsoft document. But I am not able to save any data flow in the new app workspace which Data Lake Storage enabled. I have then checked teh activity log of the storage account and I found everytime I am trying to save it 

Activity.PNG

Power BI Team yehong
Power BI Team

Hi xuanalytics - are you seeing the failures in PowerBI portal? can you please share the "Something went wrong" message contents?

xuanalytics Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi yehong, yes, I got it from PowerBI portal and it is the same error as Josh got. Here is the information.

Something went wrong
Unable to save the dataflow.
Activity ID: d33a532d-45eb-4d65-9b7a-f7041b3cd1a8
Request ID: 9135fad1-a6f5-c6f9-e204-165cfd0e48ba
Correlation ID: c7c3a7ba-233c-8e8f-1139-28bbb6935973
Status code: 500
Time: Thu Dec 20 2018 07:55:02 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version: 13.0.7683.188
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-west2-redirect.analysis.windows.net