Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

David2021

Power BI Dataflow Connection Issues with Gateway (On Premise)

Hi all,

Since February 12th, I have been experienced this error:

Suddenly the dataflows connected to the Gateway miss the conection. So, when I go into the dataflow to edit the query, I started to receive a configuration error and gateway is missing:

David2021_0-1613503925005.png

However, I'm able to add a new query with the gateway connection for the ODC I'm using, so I can say that the connection to the gateway is not the problem.

Workaround:

When I need to edit the query, i have to reselect the gateway under Options and Project Options in order for it to connect. However evertime I save the dataflow and then reopen it I have the same situation and need to reselect Options and Project Options.

Please your advice.

PD:

The refresh of the gateways are just fine, I don´t have problems with that.

5 REPLIES 5
germanpp
Frequent Visitor

Apparently this is a known issue, and will be corrected soon. I had the same problem, I needed to edit a query that was preventing the dataflow refresh, but could not save changes as all queries showed a "please specify how to connect" error and would not let me configure the connection. Fortunately after a while I found the same workaround you mention...  I was opening a support ticket and saw this message in the support page -> "Power BI customers editing existing dataflows that use the on-premises gateway client may see the message, "Please specify how to connect". Any changes made will not be saved. Engineers have identified the root cause and a fix is expected to be deployed by end-of-day 02/22/2021"

Thanks for your help. Can you please send me the link to go to this support page?

Sure, https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

From Power BI Service, click on the "?" icon at the top right corner, select "Get Help" and the support page opens.

germanpp - I am having same issue... but I am not seeing that message on support page regarding expected fix.  Can you confirm whether you are still seeing that message?

Hello, you are right, I have just checked the support page and the message is not showing there anymore. 

I have also checked my dataflows and I am no longer experiencing the issue. They work perfectly, and I can now edit them just as usual. 

I had opened a support ticket, and Microsoft support contacted me offering the workaround we discussed here a temporary solution, and confirming a definitive fix planned for 02/22/2021.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors