Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

David2021

Power BI Dataflow Connection Issues with Gateway (On Premise)

Hi all,

Since February 12th, I have been experienced this error:

Suddenly the dataflows connected to the Gateway miss the conection. So, when I go into the dataflow to edit the query, I started to receive a configuration error and gateway is missing:

David2021_0-1613503925005.png

However, I'm able to add a new query with the gateway connection for the ODC I'm using, so I can say that the connection to the gateway is not the problem.

Workaround:

When I need to edit the query, i have to reselect the gateway under Options and Project Options in order for it to connect. However evertime I save the dataflow and then reopen it I have the same situation and need to reselect Options and Project Options.

Please your advice.

PD:

The refresh of the gateways are just fine, I don´t have problems with that.

5 REPLIES 5
germanpp
Frequent Visitor

Apparently this is a known issue, and will be corrected soon. I had the same problem, I needed to edit a query that was preventing the dataflow refresh, but could not save changes as all queries showed a "please specify how to connect" error and would not let me configure the connection. Fortunately after a while I found the same workaround you mention...  I was opening a support ticket and saw this message in the support page -> "Power BI customers editing existing dataflows that use the on-premises gateway client may see the message, "Please specify how to connect". Any changes made will not be saved. Engineers have identified the root cause and a fix is expected to be deployed by end-of-day 02/22/2021"

Thanks for your help. Can you please send me the link to go to this support page?

Sure, https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

From Power BI Service, click on the "?" icon at the top right corner, select "Get Help" and the support page opens.

germanpp - I am having same issue... but I am not seeing that message on support page regarding expected fix.  Can you confirm whether you are still seeing that message?

Hello, you are right, I have just checked the support page and the message is not showing there anymore. 

I have also checked my dataflows and I am no longer experiencing the issue. They work perfectly, and I can now edit them just as usual. 

I had opened a support ticket, and Microsoft support contacted me offering the workaround we discussed here a temporary solution, and confirming a definitive fix planned for 02/22/2021.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors