Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Data Refresh Works in Desktop but not Online Refresh (scheduled or manual). All Cloud data

When we make changes that we want to reflect in Power Bi, it does not appear with a manual refresh or a scheduled refresh in Power BI Online and only works with a refresh in Power BI desktop app. Thus, right now I have to refresh in the desktop app then publish again and override the data source/report in Power BI Online. 

I am connected to all data sources that are in the cloud (at least that's what Power BI says and I do not need to install a gateway)

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you! 

15 REPLIES 15
Enkh

I had same problems. after some trying I fixed it.

First make sure your all data is sourced from online files. Mine had several tables sourced from local excel file. Changed all of it to online path. 

Then i signed into my account in "Data source credentials" in settings of online dataset. That should fix refresh problem. At least for me. 

Johag
Frequent Visitor

I had same issues a thread creator and after many hours I finally recall one data source was a csv-import from local folder. I.e. same issue/solution as you mention. 

Removed the data source and then made a import from Sharepoint folder instead and now it works as a charm. 

Real frustration when you spend a lot of time troubleshooting and its that simple 😬

manjusajjan
Frequent Visitor

Any Update on this query? I have similar issue encounted

jensan

any updates to this?  I'm having the same issue. 

johnboycs

Do you have incremental refresh activated in the table? "Get only new data" may be affecting the import

snarg

I can connect to sql server in the desk top but not in the online refresh.  It works when i connect to google analytics.  

Data source error: Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh.
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 1ab38e62-42bb-4eb4-94d1-a729fede3435
Request ID: 61a3967f-236d-10a8-fafa-cad35afaf36d
Time: 2023-01-18 21:41:11Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe reset the filters in PBI Service? Top right curved arrow, highlighted in yellow.

priquelme
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem, fix it by correcting the case of my data source.

sacotter
Employee
Employee

Same issue is happening to me - my report refreshes in the service, but does not seem to actually pull in the new data.  

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

I have few queries,

1. whats are the data sources

2. Connectivity mode (Import/Direct Query)

3. what is the error message while tryting to apply manual / scheduled refresh.

Suggested Steps:-

==========

1. Open the PBIX file in Power BI Desktop and goto File >> Options & Settings >> Options >> Clear the cache (Data, Q&A Cache)

2. Home >> Edit Queries >> Edit Queries 

3. Refresh Preview >> Refresh All the tables with the right credentials for the data.

4. Click on "Close and Apply".

5. Home >> Refresh, Save the file and Publish.

6. Now check with the "Refresh Now/ Schedule Refresh"

7. Before applying the 6th step, just go to dataset >> select the data set >> at the end 3 dots >> settings >> Check for "Data Source Credentials" tab - Edit Credentials and apply with the right credentials to evaluate it.

8. Now try with refresh (On-demand/Scheduled)

9. If the issue is persists, please share the error message.

Hope it wil resolve your issue.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

omkar28
Frequent Visitor

This helped me. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help @venal . Answers to your questions below 

1. Project Online & SharePoint

2. Direct Query

3. There is not an error message.... It appears to refresh in Power BI Online, but no changes appear. When I go to desktop and do the same thing, the changes appear. 

I followed your troubleshooting steps. I double checked my credentials were the same in both desktop and online. I re-signed in to my credientails in Online as well. To test, I made a quick update in Project Online before refreshing again in Power BI Online. The change did not show up. I tested in Power BI Desktop and the change did show up.... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue.

In desktop, the change shows up, in web it doesnt. 

In my case the dataset is "connected" to a dataflow.

Did you already solve the problem? 

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the response.

If the issue is persists, please submit a support ticket to investigate the issue.

Please share the support ticket number here for reference.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

have same issue, have followed all the steps listed in this chat and had no luck, what should be next steps?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors