Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

madan
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Dashboard refresh issue.

Hi,

I have build a power BI dashboards on top of on-premise ssas datasource and the RLS is implemented at SSAS and i shared this dashboards with other members of my organization. When a member logs in and view the dashaboards, its not refreshing. As per the documentation, dashboard should refresh automatically but its not happening. My intenation here is to list the data that is accessible to logged in user so implemented the RLS at ssas side. 

I am not sure whats wrong here, let me know if someone implemented such dashboards.

thanks,

Madan.   

8 REPLIES 8

@madan Are you saying that the data in the model is different from what the user should be seeing (this statement taking into account that they should only see a limited dataset)?

The "live" connection doesn't meant that the model will refresh everytime, it only shows what is in the existing model. You would need to schedule a seperate process to re-populate the model with the latest data set.

The dashboards themselves refresh on a seperate cadence of 15 minutes.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

Thanks for your time. I am trying to achieve the data security here, i mean the user with whom dashboard is shared should be able to see only the data that he/she is permitted to view. Ex, my dashboard lists data for Dept1, Dept2, Dept3 & Dept4, i have setup security at SSAS in sucha way that

1) User1 is permitted to view only Dept1 & Dept2

2) User2 is permitted to View only Dep3 & Dept4

3) User3 is permitted to view Dept1,Dept2, Dept3 & Dept4

User3 build the dashboard, published on to BI service and shared it with User1 & User2. When User1 & User2 access the dashboard its showing all Depts but it should show only dept that they are permitted to view.

I am not sure how the Schedule refresh help in this scenario? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

@madan Are you using the "Live Connection" or did you import from the SSAS instance? Your description leads me to believe that either you imported, which would break the RLS. Or, it is a live connection, but something is wrong with the DAX function which should be utilizing the "USERNAME" to identify incoming requests...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer im using live connection and have MDX code in my cube that defines the RLS, I didnt use the DAX function USERNAME(). Is it necessary to refer USERNAME() for RLS? we use the same SSAS cube with Performance point, SSRS and sure not if DAX functoin USERNAME() from these apps.

Hi @madan,

As any changes in the data after processing the model would be immediately available for the users who are accessing the report is based on live connection from the Power BI service, and tiles on dashboard refresh updates every 15 minutes, I don't think it is a refresh issue in this case. 

So could you follow this official article to recheck the steps to implement row level security within your Analysis Services? Smiley Happy 

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Thanks for you time. I saw the post that you tagged in your reply, it refers DAX function USERNAME() while definig RLS in SSAS. I have MDX code that defines RLS and is working fine when i refer my SSAS from perfomance point and other applications. my question is, is it a must to refer USERNAME() while defining RLS in SSAS for PowerBI dashboard to filter the data based on logged in user role?

madan
Frequent Visitor

i am connecting to SSAS MD with live connection, power bi dashboard is displaying the data but is not applying the RLS. I have changed my SSAS cube RLS to refer USERNAME() but still the same issue.

I see in some posts that Power BI should work fine with the SSAS MD security model defined at dimension level and i have setup my security in my cube at dimension level only.

Anyone had similar issue? Does Power BI filters data only on SSAS Tabular model?

Hi @madan,

Does Power BI filters data only on SSAS Tabular model?

According to this official documentation, dimension and cell level security should be supported by way of Roles for SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI. 

Multidimensional models support dimension and cell level security by way of Roles. 
When you connect to a cube with Power BI, you are authenticated and evaluated for appropriate permissions.
When a user has dimension security applied, the respective dimension members are not seen by the user in Power BI.
However, when a user has a cell security permission defined, where certain cells are restricted, then that user cannot connect to the cube using Power BI.

In addition, I found a similar thread here which mentions Map user names on Power BI Service could be related. Could you go and check if it helps.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors