Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anoopcse
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Dashboard for Orginization

Hi there,

I am looking to deploy Power BI Dashboard for a Govt sector Client. Would like to get some info:

There will be around 35 users who consume the dashboard, how effectively can we manage the users and their subscriptions ? The organization does not have office 365. Would like to know how can I get a customized URL for the Power BI portal for the Organization. Would like to have an admin console which can be accessed by an admin and assign the licenses and other power bi releated stuffs. Would need role based data restriction based on the Region attached to individual user. What would be the best licensing model in such scenario ?

Any inputs on this is much appreciated

Cheers,

Anoop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @anoopcse,

Please find my answers to your questions below:

• The organization does not have office 365
    • You do not need Office 365 to sign up and user Power BI.
    • When you sign up it creates what is required for Power BI in an Azure Tenant.
  • Would like to know how can I get a customized URL for the Power BI portal for the Organization.
    • Unfortunately the URL when you use the Power BI Service, is a standard one.
    • However if you want to Embed your Power BI Reports, you can do this under your own URL.
      • NOTE: This does require some additional programming.
  • Would like to have an admin console which can be accessed by an admin and assign the licenses and other power bi releated stuffs.
    • Once you have signed up to Power BI, they do request in order to become and Admin that you enter a DNS record for your domain to prove that you own the domain.
    • Once that is validated, the first person who is doing this will become the Admin.
    • After which they can assign additional licenses and manage people.
  • Would need role based data restriction based on the Region attached to individual user.
    • You can do this using Row Level Security. (See below)
  • What would be the best licensing model in such scenario ?
    • As from your question above, if you wanted to use Row Level Security (RLS) that is a Pro feature, which would then cost the USD $10 per user per month.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Gilbert

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @anoopcse,

Please find my answers to your questions below:

• The organization does not have office 365
    • You do not need Office 365 to sign up and user Power BI.
    • When you sign up it creates what is required for Power BI in an Azure Tenant.
  • Would like to know how can I get a customized URL for the Power BI portal for the Organization.
    • Unfortunately the URL when you use the Power BI Service, is a standard one.
    • However if you want to Embed your Power BI Reports, you can do this under your own URL.
      • NOTE: This does require some additional programming.
  • Would like to have an admin console which can be accessed by an admin and assign the licenses and other power bi releated stuffs.
    • Once you have signed up to Power BI, they do request in order to become and Admin that you enter a DNS record for your domain to prove that you own the domain.
    • Once that is validated, the first person who is doing this will become the Admin.
    • After which they can assign additional licenses and manage people.
  • Would need role based data restriction based on the Region attached to individual user.
    • You can do this using Row Level Security. (See below)
  • What would be the best licensing model in such scenario ?
    • As from your question above, if you wanted to use Row Level Security (RLS) that is a Pro feature, which would then cost the USD $10 per user per month.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Gilbert

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks heaps Gilbert 🙂

You have explained almost all of those, really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Anoop

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors