Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amyjefferson
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Dashboard URL link defaulting to recently viewed items

I have a Power Bi report which I have included the Power Bi dashboard URL so that when the report is exported to PowerPoint the readers of the PowerPoint can access the Power Bi dashboard and interactive Power BI report if they wish. The issue I am having is that when the report is exported to PowerPoint and the URL is clicked on from PowerPoint it brings up the Power Bi sign in page even if the user is already signed into Power Bi. Upon signing in it brings up the recently viewed items rather than the specific Power Bi dashboard. The URL works fine if it is copied and pasted to the browser or clicked on from the report in the Power Bi service but not when clicked on in the PowerPoint extracted report.

Any ideas why this happens or how to correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Amy,

I have gotten responses from the Product Team. They will fix it. The workaround for now is manually updating the url and adding noSignupCheck=1 at the end, so the url would be something like

https://app.powerbi.com/reports/b0feb82a-9bb5-4f9******2f6dbd8edf?pbi_source=PowerPoint&noSignupCheck=1

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
egbertdejong
Frequent Visitor

still not working reallly OK - with ? getting 2 pages. another workaround - save as (not print) as PDF from e.g. Word

Michael-PBI
Frequent Visitor

C'mon MS ... 2 years later and still not fixed ...

Here a little VBA script which will search the current PPT deck for all Hyperlinks from the PBI service and applies the fix.

Usage instructions:

1. Open the PPT file just exported from PBI Service
  2. Open the VBA editor (Alt-F11)
  3. Select menu Insert > Module (Alt-I-M)
  4. Copy/paste the code below
  5. Execute the script (F5)
  6. Close the VBA Editor (Alt-F4)
  7. Save the PPT file (Ctrl-S)

Regards,

Michael

Option Explicit
Sub FixPPTHyperlinks()
' Fix the URL created by PowerBI when exporting to PPT
' More info on PowerBI support forum:
' https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Dashboard-URL-link-defaulting-to-recently-viewed-items/td-p/312689

Dim oSl As Slide
    Dim oHl As Hyperlink
    Const sPattern As String = "?pbi_source=PowerPoint"
    Const sAppend As String = "&noSignupCheck=1"

'Search for PBI Hyperlinks (i.e. ends with sPattern) and apply fix (i.e. append sAppend)
    For Each oSl In ActivePresentation.Slides
        For Each oHl In oSl.Hyperlinks
           If Right(oHl.Address, Len(sPattern)) = sPattern Then
              oHl.Address = oHl.Address & sAppend
           End If
        Next    ' hyperlink
    Next    ' Slide

End Sub

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

@amyjefferson

Update:  CRI 52938071

Regards,

Yuliana 

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft was there an update on this?

thanks

Amy

Hi Amy,

I have gotten responses from the Product Team. They will fix it. The workaround for now is manually updating the url and adding noSignupCheck=1 at the end, so the url would be something like

https://app.powerbi.com/reports/b0feb82a-9bb5-4f9******2f6dbd8edf?pbi_source=PowerPoint&noSignupCheck=1

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale

Checking in 2 years later.  This solution does not play nice with additional parameters in the URL.  Adding 'noSignupCheck=1' causes the Power BI service to drop all the other parameters.

Hi,

I have just come across this thread as I'm having the same issue. Adding "noSignupCheck=1" works but for some reason opens the report twice.

Should the fix have been released by now?

Thanks,

Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please be mindful that if the url parameter is the only one added to url, you should use '?' instead of '&'. I rushed into copying the '&noSignupCheck=1' to my link and failed to notice that, unlike the example provided above, that would be the single url parameter, and therefore it required adjustments ('?noSignupCheck=1'). I can certify this workaround is working for me as of now.

I haven't been able to get this to work in conjuction with URL filters. i.e. ?filter=

The URL works below for me but if I add the &noSignupCheck=1 it no longer works. Any clues anyone? I am trying to create a filter listing in Excel by creating the links in Excel.

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/apps/cxxxxx-afc0-4926-8455-d954225b0109/reports/215a8f15-278e-4078...

I was having this same issue with hyperlinks to Power BI Reports from Excel and Word. The &noSignupCheck=1 works for these Office hyperlinks as well. Thank you for the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amy, thanks for this solution.  This really helped!!

@v-jiascu-msft The workaround no longer seems to be working, it opens Power Bi in two tabs and both state the report cannot be found. Any suggestions.

Until recently I could get the &noSignUpCheck=1 to work but now like the above, I get two tabs open in PowerBI saying it can't find the page I'm looking for. Is there not a better fix by now?

Thanks Yuliana,

Am I able to view that ticket? I have tried search but unable to find.

thanks

Amy

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @amyjefferson,

I could reproduce the same problem as yours. I have reported this problem internally, I will update here once I get any responce.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors