Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Dasbhboard from SSAS Tabluar (Something is wrong with one or more fields)

Hi Everyone, 

I need some help troubleshooting. 

I have a SSAS Tabluar Cube set up with data coming from CRM.

All memebers of my BI team can access my Dashboard fine - The Business Users whom this Dashboard is intended for cannot access this. 

It seems to be a Permissions issue somewhere? 

I have added the Business users to the deployed Cube, They can access the Dashboard via Power BI but cannot see the visuals

I have attached a screen shot of this error 

Power_BI_Error_Image_2.png

Can anyone shed some light here.

Much appreciated

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I have solved the issue. 

Thank you @v-alq-msft  & @Anonymous  for the Assistance here. 

Between updating the Users Roles and making sure the credential used in the Power BI data source have admin access on our SSAS instance must have done the trick. 

I reviewed everything so many times and made many changes - I almost got lost and never came back.

This was a terrible journey but i did learn a lot. 

I made a mind map of my project to review  - posting here > maybe this will help someone. 

BI SSAS ACCESS ISSUE.jpg

Many thanks. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

from my understanding your SSAS Tabular model is on-premises, this means you need an on-premises gateway in the middle.
Make sure that the on-premises gateway is using an Active Directory service account.

In the Power BI Service, you have to establish a data source that points to the SSAS Analysis Service Tabular database. For this you have to use a user that has administrative rights on SSAS Tabular instance, being a member of the Administrator role is not enough.

Then you have to tweak a configuration file of the on-premises gateway a little bit, this is necessary to "activate" the Active Directory lookup, this tweaking is explained in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=NG05PG9aiRw&feature=emb_logo

I assume that there is role at your SSAS Tabular data model, that encompasses all the non-admin users.

Hopefully, this provides the missing link to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I have solved the issue. 

Thank you @v-alq-msft  & @Anonymous  for the Assistance here. 

Between updating the Users Roles and making sure the credential used in the Power BI data source have admin access on our SSAS instance must have done the trick. 

I reviewed everything so many times and made many changes - I almost got lost and never came back.

This was a terrible journey but i did learn a lot. 

I made a mind map of my project to review  - posting here > maybe this will help someone. 

BI SSAS ACCESS ISSUE.jpg

Many thanks. 

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Have you modified field names or table name in power bi desktop file. You may try to delete your service dataset and then re-publish your pbix file. Have you applied rls in the report and are you using import mode or live connection mode? If you imported the data into Power BI Desktop you may apply rls in Power BI. If you are using a live connection, you will not be able to configure RLS within the Power BI service. This is defined within the Analysis Services model on-premises. I'd like to suggest you refer to Implement row-level security in an Analysis Services tabular model .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allan,

Thank you!

So we are constantly adding more Measures to the Cube. 

Since the error points to problems with the fields - To Test > I created a new Power BI Dashboard from Scratch - added the users and the same issue persists.  Something Wrong with one or more fields - (This error only applies to Non Admin Business Users)

The Memebers of my BI Team have admin access and they see this Dashboard as expected, all is working.

I have deployed the Dashboard to a Premium Workspace - Busy testing that

I dont know where to start troubleshooting 

Power BI Gateway?

SSAS user access?

Any further thoughts let me know

Thank you

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'd like to suggest you refer to the following document to see if it helps.

Troubleshoot gateways - Power BI 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allan,

Update on this  > This issue still perists

To consolidate thoughts here.

Power BI is conneted to SSAS via live connection

I am only making changes in SSAS - adding Measures / fields / tables etc then Deploying. 

Business Users can access Power BI but not the Data from SSAS (See screen shot in first Post)

If i give that specific user Admin Access in SSAS they can then see the Dashbord as expected. Obviously giving them admin is not a solution.

Right now there is only two User Goups created in SSAS, namely:

Admin - for the Dev Team

Users - They have read access with no DAX or RLS Restrictions for the time being. 

I have also tested the users ability to access the cube via Excel - and that works as expected too.

only when they are Viewing the Dashboard in Power BI they get this issue.

Breaking this down into smaller streps leaves me with no plan

Can they access power BI - Yes

Can they access the Cube - Yes

Can they access the Cube data via Power BI - No

Any further thoughts I can explore ?

all assistance is appreciated,

Thank You

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors