Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omillzy
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Audit Logs - Azure Automation Solution

Hi,

My organisation desperately needs some oversight of power bi usage metrics - I've managed to get a PowerShell script working with task scheduler to export the daily usage into csv as per the solution on this blog: http://angryanalyticsblog.azurewebsites.net/index.php/2018/02/16/power-bi-audit-log-analytics-soluti...

Due to export limits (<5000 rows/<90 days) we will need to build this up over time with the daily export.

We also have a SQL Server DW hosted on Azure so I was wondering if anyone had successfully used Azure Automate / runbooks load these csv's into our data warehouse as I feel like this is a more robust solution. Any ideas or suggestions - i've searched the entire PBI community on audit logs and it seems like no one has mentioned this solution?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, pretty much. Or if you don't care about history you can do the API calls directly in the Dataflow PowerQuery (rather than with Powershell)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Since these are csv files it is more appropriate to push them into Dataflows.  Putting them into a database is just adding more complexity.

So do you mean storing the CSVs on a shared drive somewhere and connecting to this drive via dataflow?

Yes, pretty much. Or if you don't care about history you can do the API calls directly in the Dataflow PowerQuery (rather than with Powershell)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors