Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

oneraj4u
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Apps and Report Data Visibility for Users

Regarding Power BI Apps:

Let's say I have Workspace A and Workspace B

Example 1:

If I have an Report in Workspace A, and an App built in Workspace B, I'm able to control users ability to see the data in the App by controlling their access to the dataset in Workspace B or using Row Level Security (RLS) from the Desktop.

Example 2:

However, if the Report is in the same Workspace as the App, I'm unable to restrict user access to see the Report data by changing Dataset access. It appears that once you give them access to the App, they have access to the dataset and you cannot alter that. (I haven't tried RLS in this scenario, as I'd like to avoid it if possible)

Is my Example 2 correct, or is there something I'm missing .... or is there a workaround? 

Slide1.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @oneraj4u 

Did you try to remove below permission?

01.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

That only limits the Build Permission (see below for definition).  When I remove their build permission they can still see the data & visualization for reports in the App (for my scenario.... report and App are in the same Workspace). Am I mistaken?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions

"When you give users Build permission, they can build new content on a dataset, such as reports, dashboards, pinned tiles from Q&A, and Insights Discovery. They can also build new content on the dataset outside Power BI, such as Excel sheets via Analyze in Excel, XMLA, and export underlying data."

HI @oneraj4u 

Sorry I'm a little confused about your requirement. Do you mean in the scenario 1, you'd like to limit the access to the report in the App for some users? (User can't see the visual & data, neither can use the dataset)?

Based on my research, it's not accessible currently, if you shared the app with them, they can see the visual/data in the report, the most we can do is restrict the build permission.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Our views are in sync then. You've come to the same understanding I had in my question ... just hoping someone out there found a solution or workaround. Just to restate it (hopefully clarify), here's my current complete understanding:

1. Report & App in same workspace: Cannot restrict ability to see data from the dataset. I think I can restrict using RLS, AAS, or other backend security outside of the workspace but haven't fully tested this.

2. Report & App in different workspace: Can implement security at dataset level in workspace the report resides in, or use the aforementioned backend security methods.  This results in the App showing the report in the Apps navigation menu, but showing either no data or request for access.

Hi there

Yes you are correct that you can limit what is seen within a dataset by using RLS.

If you use the same dataset in another App via Shared datasets the RLS will still be applied.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Agreed, as I noted in my question though, I want to avoid that considering the thousands of users we have.

Hopefully Microsoft either updates the granularity of App acces within the same Workspace, or someone who has a solution responds to this question.

Thanks for trying all, I'll let you know if I find a solution.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @oneraj4u 

'I would suggest making sure you remove the permissions as shown below for the dataset access when you create the App

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert,

Thank you, unfortunately, I don't see what you're talking about when you say "as shown below"? Should there be some picture or link you're referencing?

Thanks,

Raj

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors