Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Apps Sharing Question

Dear Community,

Is there a way to see who is shared on an app?

Additionally, does a user have to be shared on the workspace to consume/use the app?

Best,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

If it works with the Old View and doesn't work in New Look...it sounds like a bug.  

You can search the Support site to see if there's more info:  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/.  If you have Pro or Premium, you can submit a support ticket.  You can also search the ideas site to see if anyone else has listed it. https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Take care,

Michele 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

If it's an older app, select the app, then select the pencil to edit the app. This opens the workspace, assuming you have permissions to open the workspace.  Choose "Members".  This opens Outlook and you can see all of the members. 

members.png

Option 2: If you select "Update App", open the "Permissions" tab...you will see the people who have access to the app.  Either "Entire organization" or a list of names under "Specific individuals or group"

If both of these are blank, then the APP has not been shared.  Perhaps a dashboard or the report was shared separately? Using the share icon or a link or a URL?

For the newer apps...

Option 1: open the app. If prompted, select "Edit workspace". Select tab for "Access".  This will show workspace access only - the names of the peple who have accesss to the workspace and the type of access (Admin, Viewer, Contributor, or Member). 

Option 2: Select "Update app".  Open "Permissions".  See #2 above. 

For your 2nd question, the previous responder was correct.  Doesn't need to be member of workspace to open the app.  Does however have to be either a Pro user or the app has to be in Premium.

HTH

Michele

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the weird thing is - people have downloaded the app and are using it but their names do not show up within the permission space. I am thinking this is a glitch possibly? When they first changed over interfaces I was also having issues with buttons not showing up.

Edit: I just confirmed when I use the old view that fixes the issue

Hi @Anonymous 

If it works with the Old View and doesn't work in New Look...it sounds like a bug.  

You can search the Support site to see if there's more info:  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/.  If you have Pro or Premium, you can submit a support ticket.  You can also search the ideas site to see if anyone else has listed it. https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Take care,

Michele 

Members of the workspace will by default have access to the app

If you don't want to give folks access to the workspace to get access to the app, then remove them from the workspace, and when you update the app, add them in on the permissions tab

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

For your first question, if you are a member or admin or a workspace, you can either select "Update app", then navigate to the Permissions tab to see who is listed, or you can select each dataset that is part of the app and select "Manage permissions" to see wo has access to the dataset.  There may be better ways

For the second question, the answer is no, unless the app is built on a shared dataset, which in this case I believe the answer is yes

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what I see when I go into that view. I know there are people shared on it 

Annotation 2020-05-05 235939.png

Thanks for your response to the last part I will do some testing!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors