Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Power BI Apps Security

We've wanted to use Power BI Apps for some time now since it's what's been recommended by MSFT. The one thing we've encountered is if we grant a user explicit rights to the app... even if they have zero permissions to the workspace, reports, datasets, etc. that apply they can still view everything that's published within the app from the navigation perspective. So if you had something on a report that's hardcoded in a text box for some reason (doubtful) you've created a big security concern or if there is a report called budgets, etc. that they should be allowed to see, they can now see the title and visuals pre-data. We've gone to the ideas page and found a number of ideas that are spread around about this and i've submitted a case on this, but this seems more like a bug in the service then a feature as designed?

If the app adhered to the security within the workspace and validated that for what can be displayed then I think apps would be extremely useful and the idea of needing multiple apps / multiple workspaces for each report wouldn't be needed. Is anyone else experiencing this same behavior and how are you getting around it?

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think you are mixing app permissions with RLS?

No i'm not, the desired goal should hopefully make sense. Since MSFT never offered the ability to publish multiple apps per workspace, sections with permission based security, RLS wouldn't matter because users can still see reports when published to an app. The goal would be to have user not be able to see the reports, but see just the items they have access to when navigating the published app.

Not sure what to suggest. Vote for the idea?

IMHO showing users what they cannot get is bad UX.

Agreed, that's why it's a bug. The app should not matter what not show users with no permissions to a report that report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors