Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bartwestphal
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Apps Icon

I watched the GuyInACube video about apps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5pyrr7Lk8&vl=en) and at around the 5:00 minute mark he talks about changing the icon that is associated with a given app.  The method is straight forward and I can get the icon/image to change, but the quality of the image (when viewed inside the Apps area of Power BI in a browser goes from 100% to 20% (all pixelated and unrecognizable).  Are there certain dimensions or other tricks that I need to use to get an App Icon to look reasonable?

I've seen several questions similar to this, but no difinitive answer and cannot believe this is acceptable OR that I'm the only one experiencing the issue.  Any help is very much appreciated since involvement with Apps is often a Power BI users first interaction and to have it look so pathetic is a bad start.

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When I uploaded an image and I view it in the Apps Icon it looks clear to me. As well as when I view the App, by loading the Apps.

Do you perhaps have an image of what it looks like?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the response!  Here's a great example.  As you can imagine, the Before would look great whereas the After looks really unprofessional.

BeforeBeforeAfterAfter

Hi @bartwestphal

That is really interesting as you can see below I have got my first image being from the Members Area in Office 365.

Email Pic (1).png

And this is the image from the App Workspace

Email Pic.png

As you can see above they both are fine and clear. Not sure why it is happening in your instance?

Power BI Blog

I don't that the pixelling issue, but as you have shown, I do have the issue of sizing the image so I don't cut off the edges. I have reqeusted the dimensions, but await a reply.

This is my thread on the topic https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-App-content-packs-Icon-sizing-and-future/m-p/17111...

Yes, I agree.  I've tried using really large 3024x3024, really small 100x100, jpg, png, shots I've taken, screen caps, and d/l images from the web, but keep getting the same results.  I'm baffled and am not sure where to go with it.

ScreenClip.png

P.S. The image from that last post was something I took on my iPhone, and used in full 3024x3024 png format.  Yuk!

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

BTW, I've been clicking on "Workspaces", the "..." for the particular App in "AppWorkspaces", then "Members" which takes me to the Groups view of outlook.office365.com/owa.  I then click edit photo, add the new one and save.  Just want to make sure you're doing the same.

Exactly the same steps that I did not to find the image. The only thing would possibly be the image type, say if it is a PNG or JPG etc?

Power BI Blog

I honestly have no idea why..

Power BI Blog

cabell
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi Microsoft. In the hope that adding to this thread we can get an answer to this question, one that I asked some months ago and was advised that an answer would come.... nothing yet from Ajay or MS.
This icon is one of the first branding points for out PBI products and currently it just looks amateur.
Please let us know how to get these dimensions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors