Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI App Permissions for groups - Dynamic list not working properly and not showing all items

Hello, I have a number of Power BI Apps for different segments of our organization, (service lines that we offer). We've created a number of groups to control permission for these apps. I have a Power BI app named "Power BI - Financial Reports" and then we created a group with the same name. This allows our IT department to add users to that group and they will be granted access to that Power BI app, which I've set to automatically install. examples: Power BI - Business Service Line 1 Power BI - Business Service Line 2 Power BI - Business Service Line 3 etc.... Power BI - Business Service Line 22 In total we currently have 22 Groups, (which we feel is pretty reasonable given the 85 branches, 15 Countries and 1800 employees that our organization has). We I added those to the app permissions (by publishing the app and clicking on the permissions tab and typing in the name of the group), it worked great for the first 12 of them. After that however the dynamic smart list that is pulled up as you type just can't find any of the other ones. If I type in "Power BI -" which they all start with, it only shows the first 12. If I try to type in a different part of the name, such as "Counseling" it doesn't find it in the list. I've tried to type the entire group name in as well but it doesn't recognize it. And I've tried to type in every part of the name that I can think of but it just can't find them. There seems to be a bug with the way that dynamic list works. Has anyone else encountered this and can you help me to find a way to select all of the groups as needed. Thanks, David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since late last week I have been in communication with the MS Support Engineer and others on my team and have some additional updates.

In our testing we initially thought that there was a caching issue with my browser. However, after clearing every history setting in my browser and in testing with newly downloaded browsers and with browsers on our servers we experienced that the problem still persisted, (and other users at my Company experience the same behavior). We also tried deleting those groups and recreating them, but that did not fix the issue either.

What we did find is that this problem is specifically related to the use the non-email-enabled Security Groups. The dynamic list just doesn't seem to consistently be able to pull in all items in that list.

We were however able to test and verify that if we created Email-Enabled Security Groups that we were able to assign them. I found that there were still times that the dynamic list did NOT show those groups if I tried to type in the Name of the group (Power BI – Refugee Services) but if I typed the email address associated with that group powerbi-refugessservices@b..... That the group would get pulled up in the list and I could apply it to the App permissions.

There was a couple of times that I also needed to go into a report dataset and apply individual permissions to a report dataset and the dynamic list there exhibited the same behavior.

In summary, there still appears to be a bug in the dynamic list, but for all intensive purposes I've requested that our ticket be closed out as we are able to continue moving forward with the workaround that we have discovered.

Just wanted to get this update attached to this thread for reference.

Thank you again to everyone who has assisted with this ticket.

David

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors