Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI App Permissions for groups - Dynamic list not working properly and not showing all items

Hello, I have a number of Power BI Apps for different segments of our organization, (service lines that we offer). We've created a number of groups to control permission for these apps. I have a Power BI app named "Power BI - Financial Reports" and then we created a group with the same name. This allows our IT department to add users to that group and they will be granted access to that Power BI app, which I've set to automatically install. examples: Power BI - Business Service Line 1 Power BI - Business Service Line 2 Power BI - Business Service Line 3 etc.... Power BI - Business Service Line 22 In total we currently have 22 Groups, (which we feel is pretty reasonable given the 85 branches, 15 Countries and 1800 employees that our organization has). We I added those to the app permissions (by publishing the app and clicking on the permissions tab and typing in the name of the group), it worked great for the first 12 of them. After that however the dynamic smart list that is pulled up as you type just can't find any of the other ones. If I type in "Power BI -" which they all start with, it only shows the first 12. If I try to type in a different part of the name, such as "Counseling" it doesn't find it in the list. I've tried to type the entire group name in as well but it doesn't recognize it. And I've tried to type in every part of the name that I can think of but it just can't find them. There seems to be a bug with the way that dynamic list works. Has anyone else encountered this and can you help me to find a way to select all of the groups as needed. Thanks, David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since late last week I have been in communication with the MS Support Engineer and others on my team and have some additional updates.

In our testing we initially thought that there was a caching issue with my browser. However, after clearing every history setting in my browser and in testing with newly downloaded browsers and with browsers on our servers we experienced that the problem still persisted, (and other users at my Company experience the same behavior). We also tried deleting those groups and recreating them, but that did not fix the issue either.

What we did find is that this problem is specifically related to the use the non-email-enabled Security Groups. The dynamic list just doesn't seem to consistently be able to pull in all items in that list.

We were however able to test and verify that if we created Email-Enabled Security Groups that we were able to assign them. I found that there were still times that the dynamic list did NOT show those groups if I tried to type in the Name of the group (Power BI – Refugee Services) but if I typed the email address associated with that group powerbi-refugessservices@b..... That the group would get pulled up in the list and I could apply it to the App permissions.

There was a couple of times that I also needed to go into a report dataset and apply individual permissions to a report dataset and the dynamic list there exhibited the same behavior.

In summary, there still appears to be a bug in the dynamic list, but for all intensive purposes I've requested that our ticket be closed out as we are able to continue moving forward with the workaround that we have discovered.

Just wanted to get this update attached to this thread for reference.

Thank you again to everyone who has assisted with this ticket.

David

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on this documentYou can have at most 100 users or groups in the access list for the app.

We test with the office 365 group and it works fine. Although we enter the first part the list does not show all the group, but after enter more part, it shows the group we want. Finally we add up to 23 groups to the app permissions list.

11.PNG16.PNG13.PNG14.PNG15.PNG

Could you please clarify What kind of group you have problems with, the office 365 group , security group, or the contact list?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for looking into this and for offering that additional information.

I'm having my collegue in Infrastructure in the IT Dept get more information on the groups that he configured. He's out of the office until next week, but as soon as I connect with him I'll update the notes here.

I did want to post a coupld of screenshots of what I'm seeing just to offer some more details.

In the screenshot below I'm showing the "Power BI -" list. It stops at that point and doesn't show the next one, which should be "Power BI - Pregnancy Counseling"

List of Power BI groups are limited and won't show the remaining ones in the list. The next one should be "Power BI - Pregnancy Counseling"List of Power BI groups are limited and won't show the remaining ones in the list. The next one should be "Power BI - Pregnancy Counseling"

When I search just for "Pregnancy Counseling" I also don't see the Power BI group.

2019-11-22_11-14-37.png

When I search for other terms like "Kent" I see users with the first name Kent, last name Kent and results like Kent, Washington.

2019-11-22_11-16-24.png

I did have the Infrastructure team verify that those groups do all exist and that there is not difference between any of those groups.

I'm only trying to assign 1 per App currently, so I'm not running into a limit there. Also, there aren't users assigned to those groups quite yet, so I'm not hitting limits there.

I'll update again when my collegue returns next week, but wanted to provide this information for your review during that delay.

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

David

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thank you so much for your addition information, based on it, we can reproduce similar issue with the security group which does not have email address, but how about the result if you enter the "Power BI - Pregnancy" ?

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lid-msft ,

That is a good thought, I should have mentioned that I did try that as well previously.

Here is a screenshot of that, showing that it doesn't appear in the dynamic list.

2019-12-02_13-33-50.png

Here is also what it looks like if I try to specify the entire name.

2019-12-02_13-34-09.png

Thank you again @v-lid-msft and @venal for your assistance with this.

David

Hi @Anonymous ,

We test with the new condition, although the list cannot display completely on my side, but it show after we enter "Power BI - P", 

Sorry for that, We cannot reproduce the issue here and also not found an effective solution. We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

1.PNG2.PNG

23.PNG

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for all of this additional testing that you've done in trying to get this fixed up for me. I grealy appreciate that.

I have a support ticket opened and will be working with the support engineer to see if we can figure out what's going on.

I'll update this thread here after connecting with them.

Thanks,

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since late last week I have been in communication with the MS Support Engineer and others on my team and have some additional updates.

In our testing we initially thought that there was a caching issue with my browser. However, after clearing every history setting in my browser and in testing with newly downloaded browsers and with browsers on our servers we experienced that the problem still persisted, (and other users at my Company experience the same behavior). We also tried deleting those groups and recreating them, but that did not fix the issue either.

What we did find is that this problem is specifically related to the use the non-email-enabled Security Groups. The dynamic list just doesn't seem to consistently be able to pull in all items in that list.

We were however able to test and verify that if we created Email-Enabled Security Groups that we were able to assign them. I found that there were still times that the dynamic list did NOT show those groups if I tried to type in the Name of the group (Power BI – Refugee Services) but if I typed the email address associated with that group powerbi-refugessservices@b..... That the group would get pulled up in the list and I could apply it to the App permissions.

There was a couple of times that I also needed to go into a report dataset and apply individual permissions to a report dataset and the dynamic list there exhibited the same behavior.

In summary, there still appears to be a bug in the dynamic list, but for all intensive purposes I've requested that our ticket be closed out as we are able to continue moving forward with the workaround that we have discovered.

Just wanted to get this update attached to this thread for reference.

Thank you again to everyone who has assisted with this ticket.

David

@Anonymous 

I would like to suggest you to submit a support ticket to investigate the issue.

Please share the support ticket number here for reference.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @venal 

I submitted a ticket. 

Thanks,

David

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Might be it is a bug, Please raise a support ticket for the issue to investigate.

Please share the support ticket for reference.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors